Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co Sleeping Questions

Default Co Sleeping Questions

I've heard many people recommend co-sleeping. I would like to hear more about people's experiences co-sleeping with newborns. My little girl is 4 weeks old and I've been having the usual issues with having to get up every 1 1/2 to 2 hours to feed her at night. I have her right next to my bed and I have been generally going out into the living room to snuggle up on the couch with her and feed. (I am pretty large-chested, so I've found that when I try to feed her laying down my breasts are so heavy that the nipple falls out of her mouth. But I'd like to keep trying that because it would certainly be easier.)

Last night, I tried feeding her in bed and I think we both got some extra sleep because of it. Here are my questions:
    1) Does anyone have advice for feeding while in bed for large-chested women?
    2) When you co-sleep, do you use one of those protective sleepers for the middle of the bed, one of those that attaches to the side of the bed or nothing at all?
    3) Is there a big difference between having a co-sleeper next to the bed and having her in a pack and play right next to the bed?

Thanks!
    Michelle

Default Re: Co Sleeping Questions

My baby is 4 weeks and sleeps with me in a big bed. My husband is sleeping in a seperate bed these days. Hes got to be up early in the am.
    I put her in this next to me and bf in bed during the night. I love it and she looks as snug as a bug in a rug in it.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000BM8FXG

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/h...ted_Tips.shtml

This was an interesting article.

Not much advice about co-sleeping. My LO doesn't like the snuggle bed, he only wants to sleep on me (see my new thread... ), and the side thing I didn't think would work with my bed.

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)

My first few weeks with my twins was sooo hard because I kept trying to put them in cribs to sleep - but that meant I needed to get up all the time to feed them - not fun!
    Then I finally listened to my mother and put my mattress on the floor. Now I sleep with my twins and hubby sleeps in the nursery It's been working out great for us. Neither the babies nor I have to wake up entirely for them to eat. Also, since I'm so close to them it helps me to tune into their hunger cues so I can feed them before they start crying from hunger and wake themselves up so much they can't get settled again.
    I defnitely recommend putting your mattress on the floor. That way you'll be more relaxed with the baby in the bed (no worries about them falling).
    My 2 cents.
    Good luck

We have an arms reach cosleeper. Which we use about 50 percent of the time or less. When we first go to bed I nurse or rock or soothe my LO to sleep, then put him in the cosleeper. When he wakes I bring him into bed with me and nurse him. If he falls right back asleep we stay like that. If he nurses but is unsettled and doesn't want to go back to sleep I might get up and rock and soothe him and then once he is out put him back in the co-sleeper. I sleep a little better with him in the co-sleeper cause I can roll around and lay on my stomach. At the same time I sleep alot better if we don't have lots of waking up for feedings. Last night the first feeding was a get up and soothe him back to sleep kind, but the other feedings we did in bed and then went back to sleep. Since the co-sleeper is next to the bed I am not worried about him falling out. DH still sleeps in the bed with us and that has not been a problem in any way.

Hope that helps

I started out thinking I would use my arm's reach co-sleeper and that DD would never sleep in our bed. The things you get over in a hurry. For the first few weeks we slept propped on pillows into a semi-sitting position, and DD nursed in a sort of modified cradle hold all night. As she got bigger, she moved herself into a sort of side-lying position and we ditched the extra pillows. She's never spent more than two hours in the co-sleeper, and we abandoned it all together when she started standing up in it. She's 9 months old now and we still cuddle up together every night.

One of the benefits that I don't hear mentioned much-not exactly, anyway- is how easy it is to go to sleep when co-sleeping. I used to have the worst insomnia. I NEVER slept. Since having DD and co-sleeping, I drift off easy as can be. I suspect it's all those nice mothering hormones she keeps going all night.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

Thank you SOOO much for all the input. It really helps to hear what works for others. This site is fabulous!!! I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences as well!!!!

I started with the crib - it's right next to my bed, but ended up moving my LO to my bed, because I am pretty darned nearsighted and had to sit up and get my glasses everytime he made a noise.

So I put him in bed, and could just open an eye to check on him. He sleeps in the middle of the bed. I dress him in a long-sleeve onsie, and wrap a recieving blanket around his chest down...that will need to change to one of those blanket outfits when he begins moving around. When he was littler we just swaddled him and laid him down...he didn't move at all.

My DH has been in another room for years - he's a crazy sleeper, and accused me of waking him up, so he gets his own room and has no one to blame when he wakes in the night.

We BF in bed, but I always sit up and do it in the cradle hold. He went from 3 times a night, to 2, and last night, he surprised me by waking only once! I am not too good at BFind laying down, and my LO doesn't need to suck to sleep so sitting up works for us. He hardly wakes for night feedings, and they are pretty quick and easy.

He hasn't learned to roll over yet, and when he does, I am not sure how I'll do the bed thing. Either put the mattress on the floor (but then what do I do with all the stuff stored under there? Or I'll get some mesh guard rails...My DH said the crib, but I know that's not happening. I use the crib when I need to dress or use the restroom - my LO gets to watch his mobile.

Back to co-sleeping - we LOVE it! My DH is excited to nap with my LO when he gets bigger, and my LO is happy with me there. I put him to bed, then stick around for about a 1/2 hour in case he wakes - he tends to look for me, if I'm there he's right back to sleep.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

I'm sorry I do not have a lot of advice for you. We started co-sleeping at about 3 months (after she could roll over). I was really nervous co-sleeping in the begining which is why we did not start until month 3

I used to get up and take DD in the living room to nurse. It is so much easier now that we co-sleep. I think that I get more rest. The only problem is that DD never wants to sleep in her own crib. She always wants to be with mommy and daddy . This is okay for now. We will see what happens when she gets older.

As for side lying nursing, I do better if DD is lower down on the bed and lifts her chin to latch on.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

With all of my lo's I have not been comfortable sleeping with the babies. For the first three months I used a bassinet right beside my bed, so I could see and hear everything. By this age all of my babies were sleeping through the night so I moved them to their own crib. My twins are different because they had to start in a crib so I always had to leave the room to go to them.

It's a preference, but if you start them out sleeping separate you will never have that dreaded question, "How do I get them to sleep in there own bed?"

I think you have to put into consideration how your husband feels too. Mine never liked the baby in the bed because he was afraid he might roll over on them and after all he was there before the baby. I sleep with my baby only if they're sick and that is the only way to comfort them. All nine of mine sleep great!