Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ground beef?

Default ground beef?

ok so yes I know it's fatty even the supa dupa extra lean like I buy but anyways is there a specific reason I shouldnt let G have a little once and a while?
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

Default Re: ground beef?

If its organic and well-cooked I don't see why not. Another option would be organic ground turkey.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

My dd eats ground beef. I was nervous to give it to her for a while, but then again, I wa nervous to give her anything when she started eating!! I think around age 1 I was comfortable with giving it. I was afraid it was too chewy I guess, lol.

Kids need fat...a lot more than we need. And, an extra bonus to beef is that if its organic and grassfed, its high in Omega-3's!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

DS loves ground anything!! GIve it a shot... I'd also go for the organic type
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    Kids need fat...a lot more than we need. And, an extra bonus to beef is that if its organic and grassfed, its high in Omega-3's!
    yep! and high in CLAs
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

see what would I do without you ladies!
    Thanks!
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

Is she a year old? I thought beef(all red meat) was something we waited until after the year point to introduce....and by that I mean Annie (P-T-M)said to and gave me some thing from Kelly Mom to reference I believe and I did it!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Is she a year old? I thought beef(all red meat) was something we waited until after the year point to introduce....and by that I mean Annie (P-T-M)said to and gave me some thing from Kelly Mom to reference I believe and I did it!

hmm - I dunno but I found this quote from this LLL page:

There is a slight variation between the AAP and LLLI on complementary foods. Whereas LLLI advises against the need for routine iron supplementation and iron-fortified foods, in this book the AAP recommends iron-fortified cereal as a first food for babies. In contrast, it is LLL's recommendation that meat be introduced as a good second food, right after banana and sweet potato, because of meat's high iron and protein content (See The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, 6th Edition, page 236.). The introduction of meat as an early food for six- or seven-month-old babies is discussed in detail in Leaven Vol. 35 No. 6, December 1999-January 2000, p. 130, "Introducing Complementary Foods" which states that, "Meat has also been recommended as an excellent source of iron in infancy. Heme iron (the form of iron found in meat) is better absorbed than iron from plant sources. In addition, the protein in meat helps the baby more easily absorb the iron from other foods." (See www.laleche league.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVDec99Jan00p130.html.)
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Ahh...Shelly is right. I think we waited until almost 1 too, for red meat, but I can't find anything to support waiting. :I honestly don't remember, and I don't remember why you would wait...is it tummy troubles?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes