Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not sure what not to eat?

Default not sure what not to eat?

I ate marinara sauce last night and my 5 week old had painful gas I also realized no mexican. Any other advice I don't like experimenting since it leads to sleepless nights.

Default Re: not sure what not to eat?

Just stay away from foods that you know can cause gas, like cabbage or broccoli. I also heard that eating dairy can effect some babies

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/h...k/momeat.shtml

Check this link out. What do some of you other moms think of this? I know I blame myself for every little puff of air that comes out of my LO. And guess what, he seems to be just as gassy even when I cut stuff out. Now...I am thinking my little bit of caffiene is effecting him....

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)

My LO also does not like me to eat tomatoes (incl pizza )
    I also found that she doesn't like blueberries.
    Since tomatoes & blueberries are both acidic, I am staying away from other acidic foods like oranges, etc.
    Maybe your LO is similar?
    It's horrible when they are screaming from gas and you feel it is your fault (whether or not it really is...).
    I feel your pain, mama! Hang in there!!!
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

Quote Originally Posted by KariC View Post
    http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/h...k/momeat.shtml

Check this link out. What do some of you other moms think of this? I know I blame myself for every little puff of air that comes out of my LO. And guess what, he seems to be just as gassy even when I cut stuff out. Now...I am thinking my little bit of caffiene is effecting him....
    I think this is funny because they are saying that what you eat flavors your bm, but that you should be able to eat anything and not cause your baby fussiness. Just like adults, babies must have things they don't like. In my case (see my pp), there is a definite correlation between when I eat acidic foods and when she cries harder and longer -- all other things being equal (and I am a scientist, so I was trying things systematically! ) I think all babies are different and respond to things differently. I think mama knows best! Do what you think is right for your baby!!!
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

For a second there I forgot BM stands for breast milk and thought who taste the other bm to know lol. I definently know what I eat has an effect I would rather have chicken and rice than a gassy baby.

Quote Originally Posted by mcat View Post
    For a second there I forgot BM stands for breast milk and thought who taste the other bm to know lol. I definently know what I eat has an effect I would rather have chicken and rice than a gassy baby.
    ewwww....

i haven't found any food yet... I think my sons are just gassy like they're Daddy! Maybe caffiene, hey...maybe that's daddy's issue too

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)

There are no foods that breastfeeding mamas need to avoid as a rule. Gassy foods don't cause your baby to be gassy. Gas from broccoli, cabbage and beans for instance, is caused by the indigestible fibers reacting with enzymes in your intestines. This will only effect you. Breastmilk is made by filtering your blood. The fiber and gas in your intestines isn't in your blood, ergo not in your breastmilk. Proteins, on the other hand, can be in your bm. If your baby has a sensitivity to the cow's milk protein it can cause problems, for sure, but it's likely that it would be more than gas. It would include a whole host of allergic reactions like diaper rash, eczema or hives, wheezing, etc.

If you notice repeated problems with your LO after eating a specific food, then you might eliminate that particular food from your diet, but that would be unique to you and your babe rather than a blanket fact, kwim?

To get all the fascinating facts check out this link: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html

The site is a research-based info site for all things breastfeeding. A great majority of the moms on this site refer to it for info and answers along with the llli.org site.

HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Evin View Post
    There are no foods that breastfeeding mamas need to avoid as a rule. Gassy foods don't cause your baby to be gassy. Gas from broccoli, cabbage and beans for instance, is caused by the indigestible fibers reacting with enzymes in your intestines. This will only effect you. Breastmilk is made by filtering your blood. The fiber and gas in your intestines isn't in your blood, ergo not in your breastmilk. Proteins, on the other hand, can be in your bm. If your baby has a sensitivity to the cow's milk protein it can cause problems, for sure, but it's likely that it would be more than gas. It would include a whole host of allergic reactions like diaper rash, eczema or hives, wheezing, etc.
    Huh.... Very interesting. I always was told gassy food would cause LO to have gas from BM, but this makes sense! Thanks for the info :tumbsup