Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when the "cycle" returns

Default when the "cycle" returns

so at 14 months, carter seems to be weaning himself. he is almost completely off his bedtime feeding (oddly the first to go) and is asking less during the day. at night after his bath and massage daddy reads a book. usually he nurses during and after the book but the last couple of weeks the nursing has gone from 30 minutes all the way down to as long as it takes daddy to finish the book (maybe 5 minutes). it's a happy and sad time for us. but anyway, that's not really the reason for my post. i don't know anyone who has nursed more than a few months so i have no one to ask this of...except all of you!!! i figure with the decrease in feedings and eventual stop, my period will probably be making a comeback soon. so, please, let me know what i am in for because i am imagining it will last 80 days and i will have pounds of it. when did you start getting it again? how awful was it? should i start wearing a pantyliner (or diaper) waiting for its return? after two years of not worrying about it, i find myself freaking out over its return...

Default Re: when the "cycle" returns

With my first I got my period back when my daughter was 13 months old. It was very short and very light every month for several months and didn't hurt much either. By the time she was 20 months old it was back in full swing. My daughter weaned at 2 1/2 years. In between my children the only birth control that my husband and I used were condoms. My second daughter is 6 months old now. It is a much different story this time around. I think that I have already had 3 periods; two that were questionable and one that was a definite period. It was still not as heavy though and definitely not painful. I'm sure that every woman has a different story for each child depending on how frequently the child nurses. I wouldn't worry about too heavy of a flow from the get go. And don't be surprised if it starts up one month and then stops again. This never did happen to me, but I've heard that it can happen depending on how much/frequently the child nurses. I hope this helps...

thanks for the reply. i never really asked my midwife and probably should have because i'm picturing two years worth of build-up in one rush. ick!

Hi!

My cycles returned when my daughter was 9m1w exactly. We were (and are) nursing a ton, so I'm not sure what prompted it. I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones (or less lucky at least; I suppose it could have been worse). I'm on my 3rd post-partum cycle (only the 2nd ovulatory one) and each of my periods have been so light. The first one was SO incredibly light that I took a pregnancy test. Heh. It was just so weird.

I've asked around and women's experiences are so varied in this regard. Some women have heavier periods at first, some lighter, some the same. Some women start ovulating right off the bat (before the first period even) and some take months to get back on track.

I wouldn't be TOO freaked out about it. Just always carry a few pads with you when you go out from now on.

This post was exactly what I was looking for as well. I am nursing a 10 m 1 w, my third. She is the only one to nurse this long so this part is new to me. My period returned last week with a vengence! It has been heavy, crampy, bloaty, and miserable. I was wondering if this was normal? We nurse about 4-5 times a day on demand. I assumed that it was because she has 6 teeth and the stimulation just isn't the same as with the gums so my body just reacted! I guess that there is no "normal" though. I would nurse for forever if I could (do you think people would look at me funny when she's 14 ? I love the experience and am not sure why my period began again. Any input is wonderful. Thanks!

since i've posted this...i got it!!!! i ended up going on the pill (we're definitely not ready for another yet) and got it before the end of the pill cycle. before getting pregnant, i would get it for a day and a half, real light. this time i had it for seven full days. gained and lost 5 pounds 3 times in the week. cramps were kind of bad but i think maybe because i'm not used to them. and here's the kicker...i got it on vacation just as i walked in the entrance of universal's island of adventure!!!!! no cycle for almost exactly two years and it comes back at a theme park. it figures. but it wasn't as awful as i imagined it would be. i don't know if it will come again in a day or two when i finish the pill cycle. we're still nursing morning, for a few minutes before bed and sometimes during the afternoon and around 5, depending if he asks for it or not. he'd been kind of weaning himself but now he's in his next round of teething so he's been asking more than usual. i don't think i'm producing as much but he doesn't seem to mind and since he eats solids real well i'm not concerned.