Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not interested in solids at 8 months

Default Not interested in solids at 8 months

Hi, my DS has just turned 8 months and he's still not very interested in solids... I offer him porridge as well as let him self feed with bread/fruits... but the most he'll take is a couple of mouthfuls and is not interested anymore. So he remains practically totally breastfed till today. Is this ok? When do i need to start worrying?

Default Re: Not interested in solids at 8 months

Dont start worrying before he turn 1 year old....food prior to that is just for exploration and as they say for fun. My LO started eating substantial amount of food around 8.5 mo, so do wait for few more weeks and I am sure you will see a diffrence, if not dont worry, keep offering variaty of food, diffrent colors, diffrent textures, diffrent tasts. Your BM is enough for him at this point.

HTH

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

DS is 10 months and still eats very little. Like PP said food right now is for learning not nutrition.
    Amanda Wife to my wonderful husband 06_98
    Breastfeeding, Sling Wearing, Co-sleeping, Cloth Diapering Mom to my Intact Boys
    DS #1 - 02_02 BF'ed for 9 Months and
    DS #2 - 10_06 Currently BF'ed 22 Months and still going.

Remember that his stomach is the size of his fist...what seems like a small amount to you is actually a good-sized amount to him.
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

yup my lo didn't really start until a couple of weeks ago and he's now 10 months old, before i was trying to crowbar the food in but now he leans forward and eats off the spoon, he'll start when he's ready.

No need to worry for a while I think. My niece didn't start until over 9 months old and now she eats tons of stuff!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

All of my singletons didn't start on solids till they were 10 -12 months. It was just the way I prefered it and they did very well, I never had any trouble getting them to eat when I started them on solids. The first year of life all a baby needs is their mothers milk unless your baby has other problems that clearly scream, we need more.

Henry is 10 months and still doesn't actually consume much. he likes to chew food and spit it back out. Like pp said, don't worry until AT LEAst a year... I have a friend who daughter is 20 months and still doesn't eat much. Sometimes kids don't because they are protecting themselves from food allergies, so if that exists in your family it's all the more reason to go slow with solids. BM is the perfect food... everything else right now is just for exploring and learning.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807