Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Organic in jars or fresh imported?

Default Organic in jars or fresh imported?

Which is better: organic in jars or fresh produce that is non-organic? I don't have easy access to fresh organic produce here (but I can get organic baby food in jars.) I want to do a combination of BLS and homemade foods.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: Organic in jars or fresh imported?

do you trust the local farmers?
    that would be my 1st?

lots of the farmers around here that sell produce aren't organic but they do have pretty good produce. It cost $$$ to be certified organic.

organic jars might be a good idea on some of the things you cann't find localy.

I wanted to see if this question would get a few more answers. I started on the organic in jars because organic produce isn't available without driving 1 1/2 hours to the organic store. Not realistic for us even on a weekly basis. Local produce doesn't exist - the UAE is mostly sand and farms require immense irrigation systems and amounts of pesticides to grow anything. What do you ladies suggest? I don't know what to do.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

I would delay solids as long as baby was willing to just have breastmilk and then slowly add the jars of organic.
    any solids before one are just for getting used to texture.

I just use fresh non-organic. I know that organic would be best but it isn't realistic for our budget. From what I've read berries are the most important thing to buy organic since they absorb an insane amount of pesticide, that is the only thing I won't budge on but DS isn't eating berries yet. Oh peanuts are bad too so organic peanutbutter is also important.

I really don't know what is the lesser of the two evils, pesticides or mystery ingredients I do know that I'm having a blast making all of DS' food. He's never had anything jarred yet. I just really wash everything well and since it's being boiled (don't have a steamer yet) I'm just hoping nutrients aren't the only things being diminished.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

maybe I can find some good info on line later.

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)