Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing lumpier foods

Question Introducing lumpier foods

My 8 mos. /3 weeks old started solids at six months. He enjoys eating but doesn't eat much at one sitting, which is fine as he is still nursing frequently. I recently have tried to give him food just a bit more lumpy than the pureed smooth food he has been used to. He just seems to gag on it. Is this normal or a sign that he is not yet ready to move forward? How will I know when to give him more solid foods?

Default Re: Introducing lumpier foods

This seems to vary with every baby. Just follow your baby's cues. Offer more textured solids occasionally and if he doesn't seem to like them, or gags on them, go back to smoother textures for a while again. No worries
    Jen

Hello!! We are exactly in the same place as the original "messenger" minus two weeks -- DS is 8 mo. 2 weeks and has been eating pureed/blended foods once, sometimes twice, a day for a couple months and LOVES most food we offer! BUT he's doing the gagging thing with Cheerios and even a bite of baked sweet potato. I'm not really worried about caloric intake, etc. He's a good nurser It seems he doesn't quite know what to do - like chewing! - once the food gets in his mouth. So, I'm wondering, since your original was mid-January, has your little one branched out? Any tips? THANK YOU!

My baby couldn't eat lumpier foods until after he was a year. I would just try curtain things accasionally just to see, but he would gag too. He still gags on curtain things and he's 14 mo. The ped told me to start feeding him level 3 foods at 8 mon and I looked at him like he was nuts I would just do what you feel is right and don't force I learned it can be a bad experiance. Now I make sure there is a sippy cup full of liqued to wash thicker foods down. Mandy

Hi ladies! Thomas does not do lumpier food well ether, sounds like it is normal... ( since we are all having the same experience ) I had a ped tell me once that babies have a very quick gag reflux and that that was a GOOD thing, and can safe their lives in many situations, since then I have been OK with the gagging and Thankful for it also!