Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: my baby doesn't sleep during the day!

Default my baby doesn't sleep during the day!

but she does great at night, usually sleeping up to 6 hours. But during the day, she eats and then looks around and then gets fussy, I know she's tired and wants to sleep but she fights it. Sometimes she makes sucking motions with her mouth and I think she's still hungry, so I offer the breast again and she sucks for a little bit more until she's drowsy but then she gets fussy again.
    Is it just the way she is? is it because she sleeps well at night? someone told me that babies grow when they sleep and it worries me.

Default Re: my baby doesn't sleep during the day!

Maybe she's too tired during the day and is having a hard time winding down?? How long is she awake from the time she wakes up until her first nap? I found out with DS that if I didn't catch his "tired signs" quick enough, putting him down was a real event. If I did catch his signs early, he would go down with minmal fussing. s to you though, I know it can be frustrating.

New babies naturally have a reverse Circadian rhythm. Exposing baby to more natural light (not direct please) during daylight hours may help baby learn to regulate sleep.

My little one also has moments when she likes to stay up during the day also and sleeps all night... to eat. Just the other day she was feeding from 3PM - 1AM on and off and no sleep - emptying both my breasts (about 3 oz each) and 14oz of milk in bottles that I was leaving for her in the fridge for the next day.

No wonder I was falling asleep in the middle of my exam that morning. Oh well, I got a B+, I can't complain.

I feel your pain - my LO only catnaps during the day... and only on someone. If i try to put him down he will scream bloody murder or will play for a little while before demanding to be held again. Since his 4mo growth spurt he has slept only for 3 hours straight at night and then is up every hour wanting to nurse

Have you tried babywearing? My LO sleeps great at night, but during the day fights it something fierce. I have found if I wear him, he goes to sleep, and I feel better knowing he is getting some rest.

If he doesn't sleep enough in the day, he's fussy fussy fussy. I also have found he naps better when we get out of the house - sometimes we just go stroll around Home Depot, Target or any store - I get out, he sleeps in the carrier or car.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

Oh, mama, I know how frustrating this is! We have been through phase after phase of napping issues over the last four months. We've had great phases of 2-3 hour naps, 45 minute naps, 15 minute naps, and no naps. And then she'd start napping again, and it would be great, and I'd get frustrated all over again when she stopped napping again! It's enough to wear a mama out!

I can tell you that babies' sleep is always changing, so this very well may be a phase that passes. Definitely keep trying babywearing. That was one of the only ways I could get Haley to sleep for a while. I'd go for long walks or walk around the mall for an hour. The other thing that worked was her swing. In fact, she still naps in the swing most of the time, although she's just recently started sleeping in my arms from time to time. (See? Always changing.)

If you check out some of my old sleep threads, you'll see some really great advice that I got from the mamas around here. The number one thing I can say is have patience and know that it will pass. I got to the point where I just expected that Haley would refuse to nap and be fussy all day. When she was, then I was ready for it and didn't get frustrated. When she did nap, it was a bonus.

I know it's really hard to see your LO so tired and needing sleep and not being able to do anything about it. And it's exhausting for you too. Hang in there!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?