Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what kind of bottles.....

Default what kind of bottles.....

do I need to get for my baby to use while I am at work to encourage continuance of my breastfeeding. I have heard that they are easier to drink from and baby may prefer them to breast. I don't want that. I enjoy our close time.

Default Re: what kind of bottles.....

I used to get the Playtex nurser with the collapsible drop-ins and the slow-flow nipple. The nipple is kind of shape like our breast, I forgot the exact name for but is clear in a kind of dome shape and made out of silicone I think. They have to work hard to get the milk, also keep the bottle in an almost upright position and the baby sitting up.

I agree with the pp...I use the same bottle and dd has done great with it...it says on the package that it is proven to help promote breastfeeding...possibly just a marketing technique, but it has worked well for us. She doesn't get a bottle that often as I don't work out of the home, but when she does, this one works great. The name of the nipple is NaturaLatch Slow Flow Nipple. HTH

That's the one!! I didn't remember since I forgot my bottle on my parents' house which it's out the country and I refuse to buy one again, I got a straw sippy cup now which is wonderful too, he's almost one now.

Great but I have a question about what you suggested. How do you keep the bottle in a mostly upright position and still get milk out. Stupid question but I honestly don't know.

It ain't a stupid question. Well the suction from the baby will make the milk come out, it doesn't have to be completely straight, but just a small angle. I know this work because once I put the bottle on the floor to find my DD sucking on it completely straight up and she was on all four, it was so funny! Anyway, just don't lay the baby back and lift the bottle up like the typical formula-bottle fed people do, KWIM, maybe the first few seconds lift the bottle so baby knows milk is in there and after that straighten the bottle a bit. I tried to explained it to the best of my ability! HTH

The Dr. Browns bottles also have very soft nipples that my dd seems to like. I like the Playtex as well. My dd is in dc 5 days/week and still prefers mommy. She'll want to nurse as soon as we get home, even if she finished a bottle just 30 min earlier. Nothing to worry yourself about.

I heard good thing about Dr. Browns bottles, although I don't know if they're very good with a BF relationship, but I know they're good with gassy and colicky babies. They're quite pricey, Parent's Choice from Wal-mart have a more affordable type, they look just like Dr. Browns and they recently came out. I don't know anybody that use those, but I do like that brand, since I had to make serious expending cuts I try some products of that brand and so far no complaints. I went from Huggies Supreme to Parent's Choice brand and I liked them, I also use their wipes, their sippy cups and other stuff. Just giving you some ideas.

Thanks for the info and ideas about the products to try to cut costs. I want her to have good things but I don't want to be wasteful just for the sake of a name brand. I have a Dr. Browns bottle but since I have been exclusively breastfeeding since she was around a month old I don't know how it will work out. I will try it and the playtex to see which makes her happiest in lieu of the breast while I am at work. That's what it's all about. Thanks again. I don't know what i'd do w/o you guys. I feel like you are my family.

We are here to help each other. There's no many of us out there and we've to stick together!