Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleepy Baby During Breastfeeding

Default Sleepy Baby During Breastfeeding

My one month old daughter tends to feed for a few minutes and fall into a fairly deep sleep. This is mostly an issue at night. She seems to be able to tune out my tickling her feet or other methods of trying to wake her up. Sometimes I can get her to wake up and continue, but at other times she just stays fast asleep after having fed for only 5 to 10 minutes. I do know from pumping that I generally express 2 to 3 ounces per breast in 10 minutes. Is it possible that she has gotten enough in that time? Should I be trying harder to wake her up or should I let her sleep and wake up again when she is hungry? Another factor that I am considering is that she has had some pretty bad reflux, so I try not to "force" her to eat more than she wants because her eating too much just encourages her to spit it all up. However, I'm concerned that maybe she's not getting enough of the good "hind milk" by feeding for only 5 to 10 minutes at a time. Thoughts?

Default Re: Sleepy Baby During Breastfeeding

My lo never eats longer than 10 min.. Yes she can get plenty, she is way more efficent than pumping! So she can get more in 10 mins than you can pump in that time. I would try to wake her and if she does wake let her sleep. If she has enough wet and poopy diapers she should be fine
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)