Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I feel nauseous when BFing?

TaraRenee is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Why do I feel nauseous when BFing?

I don't understand this. Every time I breastfeed (or pump, I just tried that for the first time) I feel extremely nauseous, hot and sweaty, light-headed, and like every bit of energy is completely gone. Do you think I need to be eating more? It's kinda hard to find time to..

Default Re: Why do I feel nauseous when BFing?

I have read that happens to some women, and I believe it's short lived...but I can't recall where I read it. I think it has something to do with hormones.

Hopefully someone will come along that can shed more light and offer some solutions.

Congratulations on Owen
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

I think that happened to me, I remember my stomach felt weird. Are you having any uterine contractions? Those made me feel a little woozy if I remember correctly. Make sure you eat regularly and drink lots of water...tons!

i did feel like that too. and it was b/c i hadn't had enough water it seemed to me. evan now sometimes i'll feel a wave if i am thirsty while bf. if i drink water when it happens it seems to help.

I felt like I was having an anxiety attack, only to find out I was having painful let downs.... it passed...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Hi,
    There is actually a response to this and I'm glad to share it. According to some mothers, when they experience a letdown they feel light headed, nauseas, anxiety ect. Here is an article that talks about it, and has some suggestions on how to alleviate it. Everything I have read promises eventual relief. It mostly happens in the beginning of your bf relationship. Taking a slow deep breath may help, along with making sure you eat right and drink enough water. Oxytocin is released into the blood then cycled back out, the symptoms shouldn't last very long. If you are finding that they do, it might be prudent to take a pregnancy test. Hth.

TaraRenee is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Hi,
    There is actually a response to this and I'm glad to share it. According to some mothers, when they experience a letdown they feel light headed, nauseas, anxiety ect. Here is an article that talks about it, and has some suggestions on how to alleviate it. Everything I have read promises eventual relief. It mostly happens in the beginning of your bf relationship. Taking a slow deep breath may help, along with making sure you eat right and drink enough water. Oxytocin is released into the blood then cycled back out, the symptoms shouldn't last very long. If you are finding that they do, it might be prudent to take a pregnancy test. Hth.
    Wow, thanks for that article... it definitely sounds like me. (not the pregnancy part, that's impossible right now. ) Even the depression/anxiety.. I thought I was coming down with a mild case of post-partum depression and that really worried me a lot...

I know exactly what you are saying...When I first delievered I told the doc and nurse I was having chest pains, and they thought I was "trippin"....only to find out on here it was a let down....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

It will take a little bit for your emotions to level off. I cried every time I looked at ds, not b/c I was sad, but because I was so happy. I started crying my eyes out one day in the kitchen to my DH, and he was like "What is wrong?" And my sappy a$$ response was,"Thank you for giving me the family I always wanted!" It is such an overwhelming experience emotionally, and then on top of it your body is trying to adjust to something completely new. Oh, I was also sad b/c I missed being pregnant. It just felt really weird to be alone in my body, if that makes sense. Just take it one day at a time and you will be fine...

It has a lot to do with the sudden rush of hormones. Breastfeeding stimulates the production of oxytocin, which stimulates uterine contractions. I felt a rush of nausea & sweatiness every time I had a let-down for the first 6 months. If I was hungry, it immediately dissipated & turned to sourness for a few minutes. Then I was just thirsty like I was in the desert! One thing I didn't take into account enough, in retrospect, was just how much hormones can be responsible for. I always thought there was something wrong with me mentally or physically and only after my hormones settled did I realize it was all hormones. The beginning is so rough. Don't worry, things will get easier! I remember the first 6 weeks being the most intense and confusing! Hang in there! Remember to drink lots of water, and if you can't find the time to cook, snack healthy. You need lots of extra calories now!
    Last edited by JustSasha; August 22nd, 2007 at 06:19 AM.