Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decreasing amount with pumping

Default Decreasing amount with pumping

Help! I'm struggling with the amount I am pumping. I pump three times at work and then exclusively breastfeed 4 month old DS in the evening. We even cosleep most of the time and he will eat off and on during this time. If he goes to sleep in his crib for the first few hours of the night, then I will squeeze in a pumping session. Do I need to try to pump more in the evening? At first I thought the amount was decreasing because my period came back but I'm still struggling to get 3 ounces per session at work. This isn't enough to get him through daycare, and I'm having to dig into my freezer supply. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Decreasing amount with pumping

I had the same problem, except in addtion to my period, I got the stomach flu. (pumping dehydrated is not fun). I added pumping in the early morning, before she eats. She eats on one side, so I just pump the other side.

After AF came back it took me two weeks of nursing around the clock, adding in an extra pumping session at work, taking fenugreek, eating oatmeal, and finally a calcium/magnesium/zinc supp to get my supply back up to a respectable level. Now it's ok but seems a lot more variable day-to-day than before. Most women get a temporary decrease around AF, but for some there's a dramatic decrease from the time of ovulation to AF, and the calcium helps prevent that (kellymom.com has some info on this).

Like greenveggie already said, I've always found it easier to sneak a couple oz off in the morning when I have more milk than in the evening. If you want to do evening it may take a while to increase your supply so don't freak out if you only get 1/2oz the first time you try it. I also added in an extra pumping session at work. You get more milk if you limit your pumping time to no more than 15-20min but add in an extra pumping session. Since I'd tried to increase yield by pumping longer, it was actually the same time investment for me to decrease the pumping time but add in a session.

Oh, and if you pump for 5-8min after you nurse on the weekends at the nursings that coincide with your pumpings at work it will help increase your supply for the work week. Your lo is much better than your pump, so you need to maintain your supply artificially higher to pump enough, either by adding in extra pumping sessions or making sure you make more milk than he needs at certain times. My pumping supply decreases if I don't pump some on the weekend.