Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cry baby, cry

Default cry baby, cry

My boy is 8 weeks old (gosh, I bet those of you who read these daily are getting sick of my standard intro--sorry and for the past few days he has been such a cry baby.
    That sounds terrible, but it's true. If we're not holding him, he cries. And today, it seems, if I'm not holding + feeding him (or at least allowing my nipple to be in his mouth), he cries.
    Could he be experiencing another growth spurt at 8 weeks?
    Do any of you experience this?
    I believe in the 'parent your child to bed' bit, so I'm happy to hold him until he falls into a deep sleep, but lately he will wake right out of that deep sleep if I put him down. And when he wakes up, he's cry/screaming, not just crying.
    help, please.

Default Re: cry baby, cry

Hi

They do go through a growth spurt at around 6 weeks, maybe he is going through his now.

My daughter was the same when she was younger, we ended up trying to get her to settle herself because she'd just wake up when we put her down anyway, in the end it took a few days and she was great at falling to sleep on her own. Mind you, some babies are fine with it - but every baby is different and what works for one may not work for another.

Hopefully your little boy will be back to his self soon.

We went through a phase like this too. I don't have any advice to offer, but I can tell you that it's normal. Your LO is still young and adjusting to his new world. He will settle down more and more with time. In fact, it was only a couple weeks ago that Haley went through a super high-maintenance phase. The second I set her down, just to go to the bathroom or something else quick, she screamed. Then, all of a sudden, she turned a corner and now she happily chatters and plays with dangly toys on her own. Not for long periods of time, mind you, but it's still a step in the right direction. So, it gets better, but babies go through phases, and we don't always know why. It could be a growth spurt, or just some other baby thing we don't understand. Just hang in there, trust your instincts, and know that it will improve. HTH!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by Haley's Mama View Post
    We went through a phase like this too. I don't have any advice to offer, but I can tell you that it's normal. Your LO is still young and adjusting to his new world. He will settle down more and more with time. In fact, it was only a couple weeks ago that Haley went through a super high-maintenance phase. The second I set her down, just to go to the bathroom or something else quick, she screamed. Then, all of a sudden, she turned a corner and now she happily chatters and plays with dangly toys on her own. Not for long periods of time, mind you, but it's still a step in the right direction. So, it gets better, but babies go through phases, and we don't always know why. It could be a growth spurt, or just some other baby thing we don't understand. Just hang in there, trust your instincts, and know that it will improve. HTH!
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

Sounds like it's time to get a wrap or a sling....

Way too lazy for formula

I have four!! He's not a fan of any of them. He kicks out of blankets, and cries when confined in a sling....bummer. I've really tried four, it's crazy. mai tai, new native, hotsling and ring sling....and baby bjorn, which he kind of likes (facing out).

Have you made sure you're trying BWing when he's not super hungry or super cranky? It's best to try when baby is in a good mood. And as soon as you have him in it, start moving! They like the motion. I read somewhere that one mama started jogging around her house until her LO settled down! It definitely takes some babies a while before they get used to the sling. (And maybe some never do.)
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

yes
    I make sure to try when he's happy so that he associates it with a good thing/mood. Then I run, walk, jump, bounce around. It's worked only a handful of times.
    Maybe I"ll have to wait until he's a little bigger and he can face out more easily. He likes that.

Has ANYTHING in your diet changed? New foods, medications, vitamins that could be affecting him? Making him be in pain possibly? DS2 has been like that for the past 2 Sundays. Not sure what the deal was the first Sunday, but this past, I had wayyyyyyy too much garlic. Yesterday, he was very high maintenance too. I just figure he needed some love!! I know, it can and is VERY frustrating at times! Sorry I can't be of more help! Is there anyone that can take him for an hour so you can sneak in a nap? Hang in there and a big to you!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Quote Originally Posted by juliana99 View Post
    I have four!! He's not a fan of any of them. He kicks out of blankets, and cries when confined in a sling....bummer. I've really tried four, it's crazy. mai tai, new native, hotsling and ring sling....and baby bjorn, which he kind of likes (facing out).
    For a new born my recommendation would actually be a MOBY.....

Way too lazy for formula