Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2nd child i'm freaking out about breastfeeding

Default 2nd child i'm freaking out about breastfeeding

My daughter is 3 weeks old. My son is almost 5 yrs old. I breastfed him for 14 months while working full time out of the home. I pumped at work using the avent isis with great results and able to pump alot. With this baby my breast always feel soft they never feel full they felt full all the time with 1st child. Baby is gaining good weight and has correct amount of diapers so I know I know she is getting enough. She eats only on 1 breast at a time which my son did that too however when I pump the other breast I only get 1 -2 ounces most of the time just 1. This is freaking me out as this means I can't get enough out the pump in order to leave her with my mom or mother in law if needed. With my son I always got like 3 -4 ounces I was told I could have had an over supply. What can I do? Please help I have started pumping after each feeding, also decided to try pumping while she is feeding on the other breast she isn't feeding on. Will this help me make more milk so I can pump more if needed. I am not going back to work this time but will have occasional days where I may be gone for several hours. I am loosing my mind with this one as the first one was so easy and different.

Dawn

Default Re: 2nd child i'm freaking out about breastfeeding

Hang in there mama! Just when we think we have it all figured out, wham a new baby comes and throws us off. I was same with my first worked, pumped and b/f 14 months no problems. With the second I was OBSSESIVE about my milk, that is all I thought about for months.My breasts never really felt "Full" to me. So I know that you are going through. It is good that baby is gaining well and having a enough wets. Be carefull with pumping: the more you pump the more you will produce. I did this and ended up with an oversupply problem. That was no fun. If you are not going back to work you shouldn't need that much "extra". Just keep feeding that baby and try not to worry. (Easier said I know!)

Don't have any suggestions, but just from reading these boards a bunch I would advise you to be careful that you don't pump too much. Oversupply and weaning from the pump can be really problematic.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Pumping more will increase your supply, but like others have said, you don't want to mess with the natural order of things too much or oversupply problems can arise. Have you tried eating oatmeal to boost your supply? That has worked well for some. Are you drinking plenty of water? Have you replaced all your pump parts? They need to be replaced every 3-6 months I believe. Is there any chance your pump is wearing down? I'm also assuming you are more stressed, with two kids now, and stress can affect your ability to pump. Try not to worry about how much you can pump and let your body and your baby work together and it will all come together!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

hope someone here can help u as my first was only bfed 5.5mos b.c I didn't pump like I should've. Since I've had my 2nd son we've been strong.. needless to say the first two wks I had to pump ever hr after he nursed cuz my boosums just hurt so much that I couldn't take it so I had alot to begin with as I did go back to work for a few months until my mom found a job and since Feb I've stayed home with them. I have a PT job now and when James isn't with me he gets water/juice/formula b.c I don't have EBM stored anymore so I'm okay with that and on my days off it's nothing but BM from the tap.... hope someone can shine some light on this for u.

thanks for the encouragement and help. I will try oatmeal. Does pumping increase the milk supply when you don't have anything coming out. When I pump for 5 min after she eats nothing is coming out. I pumped every 2 hours last night after each feeding got 1/2 ounce from the breast she didn't eat from and nothing from the one she did eat from. So I pumped for 5 min on each breast. Will this effect the supply. I want to increase it a little. I need the security of knowing I can pump a couple ounces if I want to take a bottle when I go grocery shopping, etc. Are there any more foods that may increase it?
    The pump I have is brand new I had thrown out my old one.

Dawn

Pumping without milk coming out will help, but it's hard to say how much it will help. Your baby nursing more will probably do a better job than any pump could.

Have you been to the site kellymom.com? It's a wonderful resource.

Check out this page: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

The links called "How does milk production work?" and the various links under "Worried about low milk supply?" are really helpful and I hope would help you too. Of course the section called "How to increase milk supply" would hopefully have good ideas for you too. Good luck!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807