Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: frustrated mom and baby

Default frustrated mom and baby

This is my first time on this site, but I'm at wits end trying to figure out what's wrong with me or my baby. When I try to breast feed she feeds for awhile and then pulls away crying and screaming. After 10 minutes of this I feel so sorry for her that I end up giving her the bottle. I really would like to contiue to breast feed but I don't want my baby to lose weight either. Any ideas or suggestions?

Default Re: frustrated mom and baby

How old is your baby? Can you tell us more about your nursing pattern? What is her lowest weight, and weight now? About how many wet and poopy diapers is she having in 24 hours?

I would try burping her more often....my DD was the same way until she go a little older. You could also try different nursing positions. She also might be frustrated because it is easier to get from a bottle than it is to get from you. Just hang in there Mama and be patient.
    I'm Christina
    Wife to Drew 11/16/02 Mother to Benjamin Patrick 2/24/06 and Elizabeth Victoria 5/4/07
    http://tac.families.com/ezb/967846.png

Question Re: frustrated mom and baby

My baby is 9 lbs right now. I've tried differnet postitions and sitting her upright as well. My MD thinks it's reflux but the medicine doesn't seem to help. I looked on this website last night and found that it could also be that my milk is coming in too fast. Any ideas on what to do. I did try the tips they gave me on this site and she was still hungry afte feeding from one breast.

sorry you have having a rough start.
    have you thought about skipping the bottles and using an alternative feeding mythod? Heres a link about so things you can try

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

babies pull off and fuss for lots of reasons, calling your local LLL leader on the phone might help.
    she can ask all the right ?'s and maybe you can find some answers!

This was one of my issues last week. I decided that maybe it was something I had eaten to give baby a bad taste or an upset tummy. I also think it could be the flow is too fast. What do you all think?

yeah could be there are lots of reasons that baby pulls off or is fussy sometimes we never do figure out what was wrong.

I have overactive letdown (OALD) and it was making my DD pull off and cry.

At the suggestion of someone on this site, I tried reclining or laying down to start to feed her. Then once she has her first burp I either continue reclined or sit up. Sometimes she has a hard time latching after the burp if I recline.

Is there any particular time of the day that is worse? Does your LO seem to be in pain or just fussy? My DD has "evening fussiness", which hopefully will go away in a month or so, and she is obviously not in pain. Also, my DD doesn't like me to eat acidic foods (like tomatoes and blueberries) it seems.

Hang in there. My DD is now 8 weeks and the pattern has changed almost every week or so! they like to keep us guessing!!!
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09