Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: oatmeal instead of rice?

Default oatmeal instead of rice?

So DD is 6 mos and ready to eat like a maniac. We've dabbled with some fruit but am getting harrassed by relatives to give her something more substantial like rice porridge. But instead of an empty filler, I was thinking of oatmeal. Is it ok give oatmeal instead of rice cereal or rice porridge?

Default Re: oatmeal instead of rice?

Yes, it is okay. But why are they harassing you to give her anything in the first place?

adding this link --------> First Foods

Cereal is not at all necessary, particularly the baby cereals. Regular (whole grain) oatmeal is more nutritious for your baby.
    Last edited by Number3; August 21st, 2007 at 01:51 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

they think she looks too skinny. I have to admit I thought my baby would be a bit chunkier but ped is reassuring and says dd is just fine. I figure a little oatmeal couldn't hurt.

Well I am sure you're aware BF babies have a different growth pattern than FF babies . See here ------ > Growth Charts

Healthy breastfed infants tend to grow more rapidly than formula-fed infants in the first 2-3 months of life and less rapidly from 3 to 12 months.

Also - see the link in my first post to find notes on watching for allergies
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

we skipped rice cereals and went right for porridge oats at 7 months (you could do it at 6) - so i don't see why not. dd seemed to really like it too mixed with a bit of fruit and ebm like a pp said, just watch for allergies... hth

Hi,

Let me know how it goes I'm in the same predicament.

Jennipher

Absolutely! My DS never really liked the rice cereal stuff, but who could blame him?! Have you tasted that stuff? I wouldn't eat it.

We give my DS the oatmeal mixed with bananas. I pour 1oz. of EBM in a bowl and mix in the oatmeal to a fairly thick consisitency. He loves it! My DH and I have tasted it too because we taste everything before we give it to him and it is very good. The EBM makes it even more sweet.

Now that he's 8 months. We give him a half to a whole thing of fruit with the oatmeal too... not mixed in with the oatmeal, but on the side.

I give DS "scottish oatmeal" just about every morning, sometimes witha little banana or applesauce along side. He's never had baby cereal at all!

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!