Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What do I do

Default What do I do

My doctor has put me on breathing treatments now and it is Albuterol and it says on the box "Do not use while breastfeeding" I HAVE to take it, I have no other choice now, I have been on every medication for the penumonia and this is the last resort at getting over this, I am on cortisone as well but it says very little of it gets into the milk. I am on Anbiem for sleep and it says on the box it is fine to take while nursing. I told my doctor I am breastfeeding and he said really everything taken is passed into the breast milk. I mentioned the hydrocodone and he said Kayleigh would be fine as long as I didn't take a bunch of it. What do I do about the Albuterol? I have no choice but to take it but Kayleigh rejects bottles and I don't pump much.

Default Re: What do I do

My DD was on Albuterol for RSV when she was 6 weeks old and I remember seeing that on the box. It doesn't make sense that you can't take it, but you can give it to LO I would ask your doctor

I told him I am breastfeeding and he said really nothing is completely safe to take, he is 70 years old so... I have to take it or continue getting worse and having a hard time breathing. I just took 2 puffs and then Kayleigh got up and I had him give her a bottle and plus I just had a hydrocodone 2 hours ago, so I figured thats to much. She was reluctant until hubby gave it to her and she took it, I felt bad but this is for her own safety. I will nurse her at her next feeding.

i was on it while preg. ill look in my drug book and get back to u but albuterol is almost like a topical med...it goes to ur lungs but i know it can increase ur heart rate let me see if i can find a link brb

I don't have any info but I hope you feel better soon. Sounds like you've been fighting this for a while now.

Sorry you are sick, hope you feel better soon. It sounds as if it's ok for you to take albuterol while bf. http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/si...temp/~XjrWUu:2

Call your babies pedi and see what they say... Liek another person said - it is prescribed for children so the warning is most likely a CYA tactic. Feel better SOON
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

It really is a CYO warning - there havent been a lot of studies with Albuterol on breastfeeding mothers.

I am a severe athsmatic - was on Advair and Albuterol during pregnancy - and use them now because I need to breathe!

You need to get well - Pnuemonia is NOT fun nor is it easy to get rid of totally.

I take Albuterol for asthma, did through my pregnancy and take it now periodically. My dr and the pedi both said it wouldn't hurt the baby. That's all I can help you out with. My lo doesn't seem bothered when I take it. However, I only take one puff at a time instead of the recommended two unless I need the two. Get well soon.