Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Don't wanna to give up.

Default Help! Don't wanna to give up.

I feel horable. My LO is 3 weeks old and never seems satisfied and always fussy! The first week seemed sooo much easier, but has seemed to have gotten continualy worse. With maybe a few good days in between. I think I am doing things right but, she doesn't seem to think so. I know BFing is best for my baby, but even if she always seems unhappy? I think one breast produces too much and the other not enough. Is this possible? Does Breast milk not satisfy like formula? PLease help, I REALLY need support. I don't wanna give in to formula but I want my LO to be happy and satisfied.

Default Re: Help! Don't wanna to give up.

3 weeks is a prime time for a growth spurt, where they just want to nurse round the clock
    What are babies wet diapars like? AND poops?

I don't have much input, other than encouragement to continue breastfeeding. It is common for one breast to produce more than the other. Babies do digest breastmilk faster, which means more feedings, but it's worth it.
    My first 6 weeks of breastfeeding were really difficult, but my boy is now 8 weeks and I'll say: things do get better. They are more satisfied once they get the hang of feedings and knowing how much they need.
    I know it's what everyone says (I didn't believe them at first): it does get easier.

3 weeks is about when both my babies hit a grow spurt and I felt like I was nursing every hour on the hour. It does get better and in the end you feel really proud of yourself for providing your LO with the best nourishment. Whatever struggles you face you can look at her getting fatter and more chunky and know that you made her that way

Growth spurts can be very challenging, that's why I gave up the first time, becasue I didn't know... but it will pass!!! keep up the good work...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Growth spurts are H3ll!!! BTDT. I remember getting on these boards at 0300 crying because DS would NOT sleep and was hanging off my ninny like a little monkey. You can do it mama!! Sleep when she sleeps, drink plenty of fluids and this too shall pass my friend. s to you!!!

The first 6 weeks are the hardest. It does gradually get better and it is so worth it!

kellymom.com is a great site to check out. it has a lot of bf related links. Like the pp said, bf babies digest bm more efficiently so they eat more frequently. But, if you think about it, you need time to recover from childbirth so frequent nursing during the first few weeks is nature's way of making sure the new mother takes time to sit down and relax while nursing!

I know it is an exageration, but I felt like my DD was constantly attached to me the first few weeks. But I would go back and do it all over again! Just nurse frequently and your lo should be satisfied. If you are concerned about whether she is getting enough, count the wet/dirty diapers. Also, you can always go into your ped office or possibly an LLL meeting and have your baby weighed to see if she is gaining weight.

Also, is your baby fussy because she is hungry or is it possibly gas? There may be something you are eating that is upsetting your lo's tummy. the usual culprit is dairy. So, going to formula would not help that problem. If you think the problem is not hunger but possibly tummy problems then you may want to cut out dairy for a few days and see if that helps. My DD had that problem. I did not realize that was the issue until she was about 3 months old! I cut out dairy for several weeks then slowly added it back in and she has been fine ever since

If you do stop eating dairy, you need to make sure you are getting enough calcium from other sources or a calcium supplement.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

You ladies are awesome. I am so grateful to have this site and you as references, as I know no one in my area that has successfully breastfeed. So to have you guys here to ask questions and cry to and get immediate responses is just all together encouraging, helpful, and just simply awesome!!!

Just to update, my LO has plenty of dirty /wet diapers, and I believe she is gaining adaquite weight. I did figure out last week that I can't drink whole milk or it bothers her. I guess I need to keep analizing what I eat and if it bothers her. As for the growth spurts...I am sooo hoping that is what is going on. How long does that last? A couple days? A week? Would that account for her fussiness as well as wanting to be attached what feels like 24/7? But why does she cry while she's latched on? She seems fine for awhile then gets all crazy.She acts like she wants more, but then pulls off?
    We both got a good nap today, I woke up feeling MUCH better than I did this morning. Thanks again everyone!!

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I know what you mean! My LO fed from 9pm to 10:30pm with a few short burp breaks and then demanded to be fed again! I don't think I have much more left! I had to give her a bottle which she is gobbling as I write (my DH is feeding her). Crazy! She is just never satisfied these days!

dont give up as soon as my lo gets off ill post a link...and we r here for u