Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doctor says cut back on nursing...need advice

Default Doctor says cut back on nursing...need advice

I took our DD to her 9 month well-baby check up and the Dr. says she's addicted to nursing. She has not been interested in solids and only eats them once in a while. She has no teeth yet, but has been teething a lot. I told the Dr. I nurse her 8-9 times in a 24 hr. period. She asked me if DD snacks throughout the day on BM and I said I nurse her on demand. She told me to cut out the snacking and nurse her every 3-4 hrs and feed her solids twice a day. I told the Dr. that BM is suppose to make up the majority of the diet for the first year and she said that is true, but towards the end of the 1st year DD needs to be eating like a normal kid or else she'll need to go to a food clinic to make sure she is okay.
    Today I put some rice cereal on her tray & fed her bits of raspberries, she ate a little. She will not let me spoon feed her & if I give her the spoon she tries to gag on it (makes me nervous), so she eats with her fingers. I also gave her a little bit of rice & bits of chicken this evening. She ate a little bit. Both feeding sessions amounted to under a teaspoon of food.
    I need some other moms advice on BF at this point. I want to do what is best for DD. I do enjoy nursing & plan on continuing until DD self weans. Should I take the Dr.'s advice and start offering solid food twice a day or just continue nursing on demand & offering solids once in a while. DD has eczema (it is under control only gets it from polyester clothing & stress).
    Thanks for any advice
    Amy

Default Re: Doctor says cut back on nursing...need advice

Your DD knows best, let her guide you through! I said feed her on demand, and yes give her solids everyday, finger foods are OK, if she eats good and if not she's just telling you she ain't ready. How about you take your baby's advice!

Addicted to nursing. That's a new one!

I was also still nursing at least 8 times a day when DS was 9 months old.

Just offer some finger foods -- don't worry about spoon feeding. I never did spoon feed, just provided some soft foods to play with and eat, as you are doing. It takes time for them to figure out that it's meant to eat. I offered just once or twice a day because I hated dealing with the mess and eventually it turned into three times once more eating occurred than throwing or smearing.

Let her play with the spoon. She has to figure out how to manage it, and they will gag themselves a bit. You will be able to entirely skip the spoonfeeding stage, which is nice, and just let her feed herself.

What does a normal kid eat like???

You're doing fine
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If that is the case then every bf baby I know if addicted to nursing! Lots of BF babies go throught the whole first year on bm only, I know my mom did that with me and my sister. Sister is planning to do the same with her dd (unless she acts like my dd and just helps herself to my plate). Let DD guide you, even though DR has a degree doesn't mean she knows best for you & your dd. I had a dr tell me to stop bfing completely because after 3 months bm is mostly water and is no good after 3 months (of course I laughed at him and walked out of the office without letting him touch dd). Degrees don't always = knowledge (or common sense for that matter) KWIM?
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Degrees don't always = knowledge (or common sense for that matter) KWIM?
    I agree with you on that one! No offense to any health pro, my mom has been a nurse for over twenty years! But sometimes they think that after they get their degree education stop there and it only comes to once a year when they have to renew their licenses!

Most of my friends don't even OFFER their kids solids until they are close to a year...another word of wisdom is that if they don't have teeth they don't need food. Sounds to me like you are doing fine!

Quote Originally Posted by AMY_AND_LAURA
    Dr. says she's addicted to nursing. She said that is true, but towards the end of the 1st year DD needs to be eating like a normal kid or else she'll need to go to a food clinic to make sure she is okay.

Good lord that is ridiculous! I think your dr is trying to scare you away from nursing with info that is just false ! There are so many moms that nurse exclusively for a year and then offer solids & there kids are fine! I'd ask him or her what info they have to support that! Do what you think is best. DD will be fine - give her some finger foods if you want but your doing a great job nursing! I'd look into a new ped who supports what you want to do & encourages you vs. trying to scare you into changes your ways!

Quote Originally Posted by AMY_AND_LAURA
    I told the Dr. that BM is suppose to make up the majority of the diet for the first year and she said that is true, but towards the end of the 1st year DD needs to be eating like a normal kid or else she'll need to go to a food clinic to make sure she is okay.
    Wow.

I wish I had her magic ball.

Really, she must be clairvoyant to look at a 9-month-old infant and see her future eating habits.

Sarcasm aside, some people really don't understand the whole idea of feeding on cue and allowing infants (and toddlers, and children...) to eat when they are hungry and eat what they want. It is our job as parents to buy, prepare and serve healthy foods (or BM). (I took that line from Dr. Sears) If we do that, we have done all we can-and children will eat and eat healthy.

A newish book that was out last year which I LOVE is called:

My Child Won't Eat!
    by Carlos Gonzalez, MD.

It is such a great read...every parent (oh, I mean pediatrician!) should read it!

You can find it in our online store. (I am not implying that you need it because your child is not eating many solids...that just happens to be the title. It is really all about the normal course of BF and how it relates to solid foods. Dr. Gonzalez is AWESOME. I heard him speak last year at the LLLI Conf. in Wash. DC)

Keep up the good work Amy. You are doing just fine. If you offer solids and she enjoys and seems to want more, then fine, you can increase. If you offer and she has NO interest, then wait awhile (maybe a few days or a week) and try again. There will be no doubt when she is ready and able...you will know!

Take care and try not to let the ped. scare you too much!

HI, Amy! It looks like you already have some good responses and I'd like to add my two cents. Not all babies are ready to begin solids at 6 months. Some are ready much later (and some a bit earlier). My youngest DD, for example, did not eat solids at all until she was 16 months! She was exclusively bf and nursed about 10x/day . It bothered me at first (DD#1 started solids at 6 mos), but DD#2 was completely "off the charts" for both length and weight so I wasn't too worried!

We tried solids for the 1st time when DD#2 was 7 months, but each time she would gag and vomit every time she tried to eat. Turns out that my DD is allergic to a few foods - the Breastfeeding Answer Book states that some children who may have food allergies are not interested in solids until 8 or 9 mos - maybe longer. Just a thought.

It is obvious that you want what is best for your DD and I think that it's great that you nurse on demand and plan to nurse until your DD weans on her own. One thing you could do is to nurse on demand, yet offer solids every few days until your DD is eating regularly. As long as she is gaining weight and is not anemic, there shouldn't be a problem with doing that.

Take care - keep up the good work!

My DS was never interested in soft or pureed foods, he started showing interest in solids once he could pick up small pieces of food and feed himself. He went on his own pace and he is now 20 months old and eats like a linebacker! I guess he is also another nursing addict because he still nurses 6-12 times a day, even though I am 31 weeks pregnant and he is just getting colostrum.

It sounds like you are doing a great job - listen to your baby, she will tell/show you what she needs. Is she healthy, happy and learning new skills?