Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Words of Encouragement!!`

Default Need Words of Encouragement!!`

This may sound pathetic, but I am in need of encouragement!! I have mixed feelings about : On the "+" side, I LOVE being able to provide my LO with the best food for his body, and I LOVE the closeness that we share when I am feeding him. I feel really good about being able to feed my son and knowing that I am doing what's best for him. BUT on the "-" side, I hate not knowing how much he is eating, feeding him every 2-3 hours (he is 5 weeks) b/c I feel like a cow, I don't get sleep at night b/c he doesnt' sleep for more than 2.5-3 hours after the feeding began, always guessing if he is hungry if he cries an hour after feeding and he is clean, and has been cuddled, etc., I dont' nurse in front of everyone (not comfortable) so I have to leave the room to feed him when we have company or I pack a bottle of EBM if we're out....

Sometimes I think about exclusively , but I really enjoy the closeness of . Then I think about the work of exclusively , seems like a lot.... Then I think to give him formula, but then I feel like bad for even considering it before the 6th month even though both of my sons were fed formula. Idon't know, I am a wreck. Some people aren't as supportive, and a couple of relatives tells me that it will get better. If you can relate, please let me know, tell me your experience and possibly give me some words of encouragement or advice.

Default Re: Need Words of Encouragement!!`

Keep your chin up! All babies are going to keep you from sleeping, no matter what they are eating. At least when you do sleep you can rest assured that you are giving your LO the best. There are benefits for you as well, less risk of osteoporosis and female cancers. Breast milk is also much better for your wallet as it is free. Think of the time/energy you save by not having to wash bottles, prepare formula, etc.

If you want more sleep can you take shifts with DH since you mentioned that you give EBM when you are out.

BFing is about more than just food, it is about bonding with your baby and creating a beautiful relationship. Before long your heart will melt when your LO looks up at you and smiles a big grin as a thank you for the yummy milk...

You have found a place to get support, offer support and get answers to questions. Hang in there, you know you are doing the best thing for your son, otherwise you would not be here... to you!

i can relate. i thought i was going to give up in those first few weeks too. it seemed to help to set small goals like getting through that first week, then a month, etc. i found comfort on here too. reading things posted helped me feel better about nursing in front of people, knowing things were normal, etc. hang in there, it'll get better!

You are doing great - sure, now it feels as if all you do is feed your LO - I had to point out to my DH just HOW MUCH time was involved, and he had to pick up all the slack - cooking etc.

But, soon your LO will begin to eat more efficiently, and space feedings out a little bit. It does get easier - then a growth spurt comes along.
    But keep it up. My sister pumped exclusively and was pumping at the same time as feeding a bottle...it was a mess for her and she gave up after 3 months.

I don't like to NIP either, but it gets easier - I am better in public than in front of some family.

You can do it
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

BF is hard work but definitely worth it! Your baby will not nurse this frequently forever . Babies will start to consume more then go for longer periods of time between nursing sessions. It truly does get easier. We are at about 9.5 months now and going strong! I look back at the rough times (everyone has rough times where they think about quiting) and I am so proud that I got through those times and continue to offer my DD something precious that only I can give her.

I, like you, do not like to nurse around others (except DH and my mom). So, I too go in another room. Sometimes I resent this. But, it is my choice to leave the room. At least this gives me alone time with DD! Babies are only this age for a short period of time. When they get older and are eating more solids, generally you can offer solids when you are out or there are people around.

Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I agree with pp- it will get better!!! I've grown to love the freedom of just grabbing a few diapers before I run out the door (no dragging bottles of formula & washing bottles all day! I'm not too comfortable nip either but I often find safe haven in my car when feeding time arises!!!
    Keep your chin up!!!! My LO is 4 mo now, and I'm dreading the day that she weans. It is exhausting to be up at night- are you open to cosleeping? It has been a lifesaver for me this time around!

to you

I wasn't sure how long I would bf, as this is my first baby, but I love it so much. It is such a rewarding feeling knowing that I have EVERYTHING that she needs to survive and grow (and grow and grow!). Now my goal is 1 year of bf.

My LO is now 8 wo and finally sleeping for 5-7 hours at night!!!
    She had a huge growth spurt with cluster feeding at 6 weeks and then started sleeping longer almost immediately! You may be almost there as a lot of LO have 6 week growth spurts.

My LO is now cluster feeding between 6-10pm, but if I get to sleep for 7 hours after that, it is totally worth it.

When in-town visitors want to come to visit, I always tell them I will call them as soon as she is done with her next feeding and then they can come over. Then you can be relaxed and bf without leaving the room or giving them EBM.

Hang in there! You found the right spot for support! This site has been a great help to me!
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

My DD#2 is a month old, and I have some of the same issues. There are times my LO wants to eat every hour, and other times she stretches to 4hrs between feedings. There have been days I've felt like a "cow" as well. Especially the days where she'd nurse for 2 hours straight then an hour after being done she wanted more. I originally wanted to FF her when I found out I was pregnant. I was unable to continue BF with either of my first 2 because of lack of support and my own issues. I've made it to a month and now my next goal is 2 months. I am setting my goals one month at a time, I fear that if I set my goal too far in advance I'll fail again.

I'm not quite comfortable with NIP either. I'm comfortable around family, but many of them are not comfortable with nursing so I always go into another room when we're all together. The only family that have shown complete support for my nursing is my hubby, my mom, and his grandmother. The rest always act like I should go to another room or something. If I'm in my own house however, I will feed Jasmine where I feel comfortable. Be it in bed, in my recliner, on the futon, or on the couch. If they are uncomfortable they do not need to look. I always try to be discreet though when others are around - otherwise there is a lot of skin on skin when she eats.

I keep reminding myself when things get rough - This will pass, things will get better and easier. It helps. Hope it helps you aswell.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

I can TOTALY relate! It is so hard for the first 6 weeks. My dad visited when DS was 1 week old and stayed for two weeks. So that whole time, for an hour at a time I was stuck in the baby's room nursing, alone, bored, tired, and feeling abandoned. I wasn't (and am still not really) omfortable nursing in mixed company. I do it if necessary when we go out with a blanket for cover, but with him now pulling the blanket off, we just try to keep him happy or give him other food now that he is almost 8 mo. But at first, we arranged outings based on when he ate last and when he should be hungry again

I thought about the elxclusivly pumping, but I work full time so I use nursing as a way to connect with my LO. As far as support goes. I ended up telling my husband that "Formula" was new "F" word and i didn't want it in my house! As for anyone else out to put me down or change my mind, I just ignored them. This is difficult, but it gets better. My goal was 6 months. He went that w/o cereal or and other solids. Now we have introduced some stuff, mostly veggies. And I am not ready to stop and neither is he. Even though he is sensitive to milk and eggs and I have changed my diet drastically, it is worth it to know that he has the best start he can. Good for you for doing this for you baby. You ROCK! :tumbsup
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I decided to take the easy way out when DS was little. I trusted him to get enough to eat, and if he started crying, I offered the breast first and if that wasn't what he wanted, then I tried to figure out what he needed. If they don't want to nurse, they won't, so I don't think you can go wrong with offering. After FFing two, it just might take you a little while to adjust to the fact that it's okay not to know exactly how much your lo is getting.

It is much easier to feel positively about bfing after you lo gets a little older. By 3 months you will probably have a much different perspective. Hang in there--it is so worth it even with the bumps in the journey along the way.