Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast pain - need help!

Default Breast pain - need help!

I have a 4 week old baby boy, he's my second child. I didn't breastfeed my first child for very long because I didn't have the support I needed and had no idea what I was doing. This time around is totally different.

However, for the last week and a half my left breast has been painful. It doesn't happen all the time and with every feeding, but it will occassionally burn/tingle a few minutes after a feeding. It only lasts a few minutes but its bothersome.

It hurts when he first latches on, then stops. I do notice a few cracks on that nipple as well and use Lanolin on it, but not all the time. Baby doesn't show any signs of thrush.

He goes to the pediatrician on Friday and I plan to ask her about it, but in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions??

He likes to latch on and then feed for awhile and then he stays latched on and pulls at my nipple, while still being latched. OUCH! could this be causing the burning after he's finished nursing?
    I don't know about latch either - he may not be latched on correctly?

If its thrush, would both of my breasts hurt? I don't have any problems with the right side.

I appreciate any and all suggestions/tips!!

Default Re: Breast pain - need help!

Quote Originally Posted by SMiskosk View Post
    However, for the last week and a half my left breast has been painful. It doesn't happen all the time and with every feeding, but it will occassionally burn/tingle a few minutes after a feeding. It only lasts a few minutes but its bothersome.
    I have that burn/tingle after by non correctly latched/not correctly milk transferring LO nurses also. When I hear other people describe letdown (which I dont feel) that is what it sounds like, but it happens after the nursing session not before or during. I'm still trying to figure out what it is too.

Hugs and I hope you find an answer.

Default Re: Breast pain - need help!

I had this burning sensation too. I remember telling the dr. at my 6 week post partum checkup that it felt like my nipple was "on fire". Sounds to me like a shallow latch. It could be happening on one side rather than the other based on let-down or shape of nipple. (I had one nipple that was more prominent than the other and it definitely took more abuse, but it is also the side where my let-down is more forceful; sometimes that can cause baby to back off and have a shallow latch.) Do your best to get the breast as far back in baby's open mouth as possible. We used the shield for a while and weaned off of it by 7 weeks.
    In my experience, it gets better as baby matures, mouth gets bigger and stronger, etc. I have no burning or pain and haven't since she reached 8 weeks. I hope that helps and hang in there... you just have to get over this hump... seems like forever, but in the big picture and several months down the line, I hope it will seem like no time at all. Good luck!