Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hope this isn't retarded

Default hope this isn't retarded

But why don't you give babies cool or cold milk? I just know i was taught to warm it up, but never new why?
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Default Re: hope this isn't retarded

Because mother's milk is warm, coming from the body so baby is used to it and comforted by it. At least this is what I always thought

oops
    Last edited by Teresa; August 20th, 2007 at 09:12 PM. Reason: already posted

I was always told to give baby milk that's warm as well. Recently I read something about it but can't remember where it was (it could have been here for all I remember... lack of sleep and all lol). What I read is that that the milk actually does not have to be warmed if the baby doesn't show a preferance. In a pinch the other day my DD was given cool EBM in a bottle and didn't mind one bit. There was no way for DH to warm it up.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

I know that's what I was always told as well. I just assumed it would be more comforting to baby's tummy. I know my mom always told me if I ever have a hard time falling asleep or upset stomach drink warm milk and for some reason it always made me feel better.
    My name is Rosie and I'm a mother to 3 girls and 2 boys

My girls:Janessa 10.30.93, Reanna 03.25.99 and Mylee 09.20.06
    My sons, Isaiah 07.16.97 and Shawn 09.12.08

Yeah, I think it's just a preference thing. I've tried keeping my LO's options open by giving him both warm and cool milk since he was born. You never know when you'll be in a pinch and not be able to warm it!

I can't find anything that says cool or cold milk harms baby...if you find out anything different let me know....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Cold milk wouldn't harm the baby. Some babies prefer warm milk, others have no preferance. The only concern with serving cold human milk is that fat globules could stick to the sides of the bottle (or bag) and warming helps them to turn loose. If you want to serve cold, you could warm the milk between your palms as you are "swirling". That should loosen the fat.

HTH!