Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: can someting I'm eating cause my baby to have congestion

Default can someting I'm eating cause my baby to have congestion

my daughter is 8 weeks old. She seem's to be congested. very musousy in the nose. Is it someting I'm eating?

Default Re: can someting I'm eating cause my baby to have congestion

I don't think it has anything to do with what you eat. It can be a minor cold. Also I've heard that reflux can cause congestion, does your baby have it?

Dairy in your diet could cause some congestion. I was using the "nose sucker" for a while cuz my dd was so snotty! Hope it gets better!

Hi, I had that problem with my daughter and it turned out to be dairy!! Her Ped said it was a cold but it never seemed to go away so I just cut out dairy and she was 100% better within a few days. Make sure you rule that out. The sad thing is dairy is in alot of things. I love dairy but I will skip it for her.

Quote Originally Posted by mommywith3 View Post
    Hi, I had that problem with my daughter and it turned out to be dairy!! Her Ped said it was a cold but it never seemed to go away so I just cut out dairy and she was 100% better within a few days. Make sure you rule that out. The sad thing is dairy is in alot of things. I love dairy but I will skip it for her.
    Very interesting. I drink at least 1 glass of skim milk daily and eat string cheese and chees crackers. My son is congested at times but when I use the syringe, nothing comes out, then it "magically disappears". Then when he spitts up, it is very thick like cottage cheese sometimes. He is fussy sometimes when he spits up too. I told ped... she gave me suggestions but didn't say anything about dairy. I am going to reduce it as much as I can (its in soooo much) and see if there is a difference. THANKS

My DD, Ali is congested first thing in the morning. The Pediatrcian told me that it's dried up breastmilk. She told me to use saline solution by Little Noses, drop in the baby's nose and suck it out. My daughter hates it, but she always sounds better afterwards! Hope this helps.

SAHM to Ali born on Memorial Day, May 28, 2007
    3 weeks early and weighed 6 pounds 6 ounces
    Ali weighs 17 pounds 10 ounces at 12.5 months old

Yes definally try to elimate dairy for a bit just so you make sure its not that. My daughter seemed worst in the morning. We had to suck all the gunk out then and we used ayr saline solution and it definally helped get it out. I just thought it was odd that a cold would run that long so I checked some websites out and came across the symptoms of dairy allergy etc.. I loved to drink a glass of skim milk a day with cheese etc.. As soon as I stopped within days we didnt have to use the syringe again or the ayr drops! I was a bit upset the Ped didnt even mention it. She wanted me to just use some OT cough stuff etc.. My girl was only 6 weeks at the time! I found a few more info on kellymom that might help.

If a breastfed baby is sensitive to a particular food, then he may be fussy after feedings, cry inconsolably for long periods, or sleep little and wake suddenly with obvious discomfort. There may be a family history of allergies. Other signs of a food allergy may include: rash, hives, eczema, sore bottom, dry skin; wheezing or asthma; congestion or cold-like symptoms; red, itchy eyes; ear infections; irritability, fussiness, colic; intestinal upsets, vomiting, constipation and/or diarrhea, or green stools with mucus or blood.