Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: tuna?

Default tuna?

Anyone tried tuna? My ds is 18mo and dairy/soy/nut allergic. He doesn't get alot of protein so I'm thinking of trying tuna but am not sure if it is okay this young. I'll cross post on the allergy boards, but I wondered if anyone here has tried it and with what results???

Default Re: tuna?

I have not tried tuna because of concerns around mercury. I figure if it wasn't safe to eat while pregnant....and I'm taking all the precations around his shots...I'm too scared.

Way too lazy for formula

Yeah, but we don't eat it very much...its not safe to eat a LOT of it during pregnancy, while nursing, or as a baby/toddler, but occasionally, its okay. You don't want albacore white, but chunk light is okay, in moderation. We eat it once or twice a month.

Better fish includes salmon (which makes a great sandwich as well) because it has Omega-3 fats. Make sure its wildcaught though!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Nora recently reacted with hives after the day care fed her tuna (at 10 mos ). When I called the doc they told me that she shouldn't have had any fish until 2 years.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Also if you are thinking canned tuna, check the ingredients. Lots contain MSG and MSG's big bad sibling "Soy Protein".

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    Nora recently reacted with hives after the day care fed her tuna (at 10 mos ). When I called the doc they told me that she shouldn't have had any fish until 2 years.
    Not to steal the thread but...I thought some fish was supposed to be good for babies?

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

I dunno. I don't really eat fish except tuna sometimes (I just don't like it) so I probably wouldn't have given her fish at all until she was much older and someone else happened to be eating it. Two years is just what the nurse said.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by MeganBeth View Post
    Not to steal the thread but...I thought some fish was supposed to be good for babies?
    Fish is a top allergen, so those people who are following the allergen list/timeline would wait until baby is two. I was under the impression that true BLS/BLW takes into account family hx of allergies, but proceeds at a different rate with allergens. Ie. Eating off Mom & Dad's plate.

Rochelle has good info on this. Peter has had halibut and salmon I think.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

We do wild salmon regularly in various forms -- fresh when its on sale, wild salmon burgers, or canned wild salmon I get from the health food store. You can use canned salmon just like tuna in sandwiches. DS really likes it it, gobbles it up whenever we offer. I don't give him tuna because of mecury concerns, but I do give him canned sardines, which he also loves, and which have lots of DHA as well as calcium and protein. You have to watch salt though -- he doesn't get that much salt from other sources so I figure that sardines occsionally should be okay. I eat them too so he gets the DHA from me as well.
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup