Default Bls/blw???

What do they stand for??

Thanks

Default Re: Bls/blw???

baby led solids or baby led weaning

basically offering finger foods etc instead of purees
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I just "bumped" a whole bunch of old threads with info about doing baby led solids
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Oh thanks! This stuff is pretty important to me as we're now in the 'solids' area. Our ped actually told me to start cereal and stage 1 baby food at 4 months... but I haven't exactly been consistent with it. For one thing, I've shied away from rice cereal because I'm scared to death of constipation issues. For another, Skye hasn't really seemed ready for food yet.

Now, I had already given Skye some 'tastes' of MY food, just a smidge on the tip of my finger, before 4 months. Things like broth from soups, just for him to taste. A few days before he turned 4 months, I bought some stage 1 and started giving him a little. From that point, I've given him a little baby food now and then, depending on what he wants. If he seems excited and interested in the food, I let him eat until he gets bored. For a while, he was kind of gagging on the food and I had to thin it down with breastmilk. He does better on them now and only seems to have a little trouble with the thicker foods like peas.

I'm still not giving him food every day, but at his last appointment, the ped told me to give him two meals a day plus cereal and juice after every meal and to start Stage 2 food at 6 months (in a few days).

Anyway, this is something we're going through right now, so thanks and I look forward to learning stuff from this forum.

Oh, and any feedback on OUR situation, would be appreciated.

It's super important to follow your babies lead here. Two meals a day would be just right for some 6 month olds and for many it would be too much. I had gone slow on the solids because of laziness with my 2nd child and she was just fine with it, but when I took the same attitude with my 3rd he started crying everytime I put something (even coffee) to my mouth. Feed your child the amount they seem to be interested in and make sure he/she is still getting plenty of breatmilk.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Thanks Laura. I'm trying to do just that. I'm a little concerned at this point because Skye hasn't had a good poop in a week.. but I'm also familiar with the whole 'breastfed babies may not poop as much' thing. He's been 'grunting' for several days and has appeared to be in pain a couple of times at night before bed (could just be gas). He HAS been gassy. He's had a few 'skidmarks' type BMs. The last time he pooped, it was still the mushy breastmilk typical poop, so I'm trying not to worry. I guess I'm more concerned because of the intro of solids and wondering if they have had an effect, or if he should be going more often and isn't.

GAH.. too much too worry about. lol