Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BLS/BLW experiences

Default BLS/BLW experiences

Hi Ladies! I am a proud mama to 8mo (6mo adjusted) Liana, who is getting really interested in swiping my spoon, cup, napkin, plate, etc! I'm going to get a highchair and start BLS soon, so I'm just wondering how many of you have done this approach and what your experiences are!

Right now, Liana will grab pieces of food and put it to her mouth, but when it touches her tongue she makes a face and "shivers". The only foods she's really liked to knaw on so far (but has not actually swallowed anything) have been rolls and a pickle. She actually did really well making the pickle very soggy Sometimes she gags if she gets any bits of what she's knawing on her tongue, and I'm hoping in time she'll outgrow that and actually start moving it to the back and swallowing it. As they say, "before one it's all for fun!", so I think BLS will be a great way to let her develop at the right pace for her.

So here are some questions that might help make this a great informational thread:
    What age did you start BLS?
    What foods did you offer and at what pace?
    When did your LO really take to eating the offered foods?
    When did your LO actually start digesting the foods well?
    Did your LO slack off with solids while teething or growth spurts?

Hope your BLS/BLW experiences are going great! I'm so excited to start the whole process with Liana

Default Re: BLS/BLW experiences

Hiya,

I started BLW with my DD Emma a couple of weeks ago when she hit 6 months. At the moment, I am sticking with just fruit and veg while she gets the hang of it. I offer food at least once a day - always at lunch time, and usualy at dinner time too (depending on how tired she is). I make sure that I am eating at the same time, to encourage her. At first, she was just playing around with the food, but over the last few days I have seen real progress. And there is definately progress at the other end too iykwim!

I have only been doing this for a short while, but I know it was definately the right choice for me and Emma. It is so wonderful to see my little baby growing up, and learning to feed herself!

I have been keeping a blog to remind myself of what foods she liked when. It might be helpful for ideas for getting started.

http://emmas-blw.blogspot.com/

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by morningirl View Post
    So here are some questions that might help make this a great informational thread:
    Hi Liana,

I started when he turned 6 months old, I did give him some pureed stuff but then stopped it.

PWhat foods did you offer and at what pace?
    Paeach is his all time favourit, banana, sweet potato, pears I kept introducing a new veg or fruite every 4-5 days. I offered it like twice a day, both after his naps and some times when he is really fussy just to get him off my back

He was eating the food but not in large quantities, around 8 months he started to eat susbtantial amount of diffrent foods, now he eats two meals and two snacks.

I think when he was 8.5 months old.

Hmmmm..I think he did, for like 2 days, and I think he was teething then.

HTH

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

I just bumped a bunch of old threads that have lots of stories from other moms who've done baby led solids.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

my 1st baby 17 years ago we did the jars and cereal, he nursed untill he was about 6 months old and then took mostly solids and a few bottles of formula a day.
    With my 2nd I learned a little bit more about breastfeeding but not much about solids, he started with cereal and was on table foods at about a year. He didn't get lots of jars of food I made most of his foods... He weaned at about 29 months or so.....

with my 3rd I started to learn about baby lead weaning and he didn't start any solids untill he got teeth and then we started with meats for the iron.
    He weaned breastfeeding when he was about 18 months old and I go pg.

With my 4th I did the same thing she started table foods at about 9 months she didn't eat much intill well after her 1st birthday.
    She had low iron at 18 months so we had to suppliment her diet with floradix.
    Its an iron suppliment. Anyways.
    she weaned with a little push a few weeks after her 4th birthday.

What foods did you offer and at what pace?

Hope your BLS/BLW experiences are going great! I'm so excited to start the whole process with Liana
    Hi. Sorry I'm late but I actually typed my whole response on Sat and lost it all and it made me soooo mad I couldn't actually come back and try again until now. So trying again.
    We started right before 6months (June 22nd) as soon as his bottom teeth broke. We tried several times with no success. No success means at a time when EVERYTHING goes into baby's mouth and the food is the ONLY thing they aren't putting there, put it away and try again in a week. We tried Bananas, no. Advacado, nope. Sweet potatoes. No. Then on 4th of July weekend at a Bar BQ, someone else fed him watermelon and it was quite amusing to watch the look on his face as he tasted it, and very amazing to watch him raise the piece of food back to his mouth and continue to suck on it. We had a winner.
    So the whole month of July we had watermelon, once a day or once every other day. NO pressure. At the end of that month we had a friend visiting and an obviously teething baby. Due to me being completely disgusted by the sugary slimy teething biscuits, we gave him the hard end of french bread loaves and he really enjoyed knawing on those. At the beginning of Aug we introduced the O's. Those were so great. They kept him busy in the chair for at least a half an hour. So breakfast was born. We had O's everyday for breakfast and watermelon at some point and we started experimenting with other things. Some yogurt, some pears. I never peeled anything or boiled anything. I gave it to him in fry sized slices and if he could get it to his mouth , he dealt with it. Now sometimes he gagged and sometimes he puked. But that was all normal. The thing is gagging is a natural defense against choking and this is part of how babies learn to deal with solids. By the end of Aug we discovered apples slices and they were our new favorite food. They were great for teething, would also keep him happy and busy for over a half an hour at a time and there was virtually no mess.
    He didn't start to actually SWALLOW food until Sept. Before that, all eating consisted of slurping, sucking and chewing but everything usually came back out. That's what a tongue thrust and gag reflex does for a baby. Let's them experiment with solid food with out actually swallowing before ready. It was almost 3months after we started before he actually swallowed anything. Right around the same time he started letting me know he was ready for more food. By this point, he was in the chair for O's in the morning, and we would feed him something off our plate at dinner. But at lunch time I was having to give him a slice of apple just to keep him out of my lunch and I still ended up sharing my yogurt with him everyday. So lunch started to happen.
    By 10months old we were eating 3 meals a day and each meal had 3-5choices. I can't stress enough the importance of not falling into food ruts. Not becoming comfortable with three or 5 choices and trying to just feed your child those things. While I really felt like this method of feeding complimeted EBF perfectly, and was all about following my childs ques, I was NOT interested in having a picky eater.I was not going to entertain a house hold with a child who would only eat cereal and crackers or cheese. I found the way around this was to always have fresh and new choices on his plate. This way even if he rejected two or 3 things, he was still CHOOSING one or two at every meal. So he was still participating in the ritual of meal times with out pressure around food.
    So Breakfast was two dry cereal with two or 3 kinds of fresh fruit, lunch was beans and fruit or fruit and yogurt and dinner was every thing we eat broken out minus things that weren't age appropriate. If we were having tacos, we would shred up tortillas and give him bean but no beef, cheese but no tomatoes. We started giving him shredded chicken and ground turkey between 10 &11 months but didn't feed him pork or beef until after the year point.
    But 12 months we we were up to 3 meals a day plus two snacks and by 14months he started trying to use silverware. He has never eaten anything pureed or anything out of a jar. There was a growth spurt around 16months and another one around 18months..both where I Was SOOOO glad I wasn't his only source. He was nursing like 8-12x a day during both and was having 2nds of lunch and dinner.
    Making sure that he has great variety in his diet is endless work. I am not going to lie. Things need to be alternated. He won't eat bananas or strawberries every week. But every other is OK. He will eat blueberries, beans and rice everyday if I let him. We still listen to his ques. My child eats cheese but has no interest in cow's milk and around 14months we just stopped trying to feed it to him. He doesn't really seem very interested in beef and I'm not going to make him eat that either. But do as much research as possible about what's okay at what age. Like Broccoli didn't become Okay until after 7months . And you don't want to feed a baby under one ANY kind of salt. So no pickles. No carrots until after the year point ect.
    I have a 20month old who eats his meals with his silverware and walks around snacking on carrots and snap peas. This completely believe in this method and think it complements EBFing and doing things naturally. The more whole unprocessed foods we all eat the better! HTH! Good luck!

Way too lazy for formula

Dj's mom, GREAT POST, one can learn a lot from your experiance . I wasnt offeing like 3-5 varities of food, I was giving him the stuffs he likes over and over again and it seem , from readinf your posts, thats why his intrest in solid bit decreased. Variety is the key, I will try not to forget that. Thanks for sharing.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

We started one week before Henry's 6 month birthday because he was showing all the "signs". However, I quickly realized his gag reflex was still VERY strong. We started with banana (which he liked) and avocado (didn't like) and sweet potato (didn't really like). However, I quickly stopped the banana and switched to pears and peaches because he was having big constipation issues (common when starting solids) I still give pureed (homemade) pears and peaches for breakfast to make sure he's consuming enough to help the pooping issue. He seems more regular now but it took a couple of months. Otherwise he doesn't actually consume much, just chews different foods and spits them out. Early on he tried O's and loved them. Now for breakfast he will have a fruit with either toast, piece of a whole grain waffle or yogurt. I tried oatmeal once and he really didn't like it, but I'm going to try again now. He loves watermelon and likes other melons as well. He's also really getting in to apples now.

For dinner we usually just give him pieces of whatever we are eating. He loves green beans which we just give him whole. I've also tried asparagus, carrots, peas and he likes black beans. (some suggest holding off on peas and beans if you have allergies in your family.) He also really likes rice (brown and white) and rice cakes. I've tried pieces of chicken but he doesn't like it much, will chew it a little and then spit it back out.

I didn't worry too much about waiting a week in between offering foods. We don't have any food allergies and I figured if we did have a reaction I could do some investigative work, but I also didn't offer most of the allergens (just peas and beans) so we've had no issues!!!

Henry's 10 months now and still doesn't actually consume much, but he's having fun with it and learning. My advice is take it slow and have fun with it! It's much more work than just bfing and it's messy, so there's no reason to rush in to it! Have fun!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Wow! Thanks for all your invaluable stories! DD is really starting to get upset now at dinner because she wants to participate, so I give her an item to chew on (which she enjoys), but she is gagging a LOT...every time she gets a bit on her tongue! Good to know it's just a phase because DH is panicking with every gag. I just keep having fears like, "what if she never eats?!" LOL

Wow! Thanks for all your invaluable stories! DD is really starting to get upset now at dinner because she wants to participate, so I give her an item to chew on (which she enjoys), but she is gagging a LOT...every time she gets a bit on her tongue! Good to know it's just a phase because DH is panicking with every gag. I just keep having fears like, "what if she never eats?!" LOL
    You have to have faith. How did children eat before baby food was invented? The key thing to doing baby-led is that if a child can pick it up and put it in one's own mouth, than the child can be trusted to deal with it. And really, "dealing with it" won't actually involve swallowing for months. Also don't feed the baby or put anything into the baby's mouth for her. This research has shown that a child that is spoon fed is much more likely to actually choke because if you get things past a certain point in an infants mouth the suck reflex will kick in. That's why it's very important to let the child place food in their own mouth. They won't shove food farther into their own mouth than they are ready to have it.

Way too lazy for formula