Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: loosing faith

Default Re: loosing faith

maybe this link from kelly moms will help:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

My lo was born at 33 weeks and was 4 lbs 6 oz. I know it is a big different from yours, but she was also in NICU for a while. I was so discouraged for the longest time, but I was also 150% determined I was going to bf. PP is definitely right...pump, pump, pump. The more you pump during the day the better. And right now your supply may not be as much because your lo is not able to eat too much. My LO, Ryan only started off at about 15 ml. That is certainly not a lot, but now by looking at her you would never guess she was a preemie. Don't lose your faith. You have so much support from everyone in this forum. My prayers are with you.
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

Age Ticker

Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

Talking Re: loosing faith

i have been trying to pump more, but at one point they were going to feed her just formula, because they said she was not gaining weight properly, and that was discouraging, so since i was not getting much, i had laid off pumping, i was only pumping in the morning and at night. because i really didn't want to give up. i have been trying to get back up to how many times i was pumping before, but it's been a little difficult, the hospital that they moved her too is alot further away, and with going to see her every day, the days get tiring, ontop of the fact that they still haven't gotten me off all of the meds they have me on, which make me sleepy too, but even in the begining, when i first started, and was doing every time i possibly could, i still never got much, and the lc was a real turn off at the other hospital, so by the time i started to get help from anyone, she was already almost 3 months old. and being a 1st time mom, and not getting the help i needed, didn't get me too far then either. so with the help and tips i have gotten from the new hospital, 1 being to keep a journal of pump times, and how much, i have been seeing an increase, small but it's there. it's usually about 10cc a day. so right now, i'm getting about half of what they are feeding her in a day, but i'm at least happy with the fact that she is not supplimented with formula, but with donor breast milk (again i thank everyone who donates, and shares that love with children in need like her, but i really could never thank you all enough), and i keep pumping. and i have to tell you, i'm am very happy about finding this site, because reading all the support that i have been getting on this issue, is helping to releave alot of stress that i was putting on myself, and is helping me to keep my desire to continue to try, and get to where i want to be. and i pump every time i get a chance, but i make sure it's no less then at least 6 times a day. i want to get more, and i'm trying to get there, but i surely don't want to loose what i got already. also, personally,switching from the symphony to the pisa i think has helped a great deal also. i had rented the symphony, and i don't think it was in proper working order, i have since (after they told me that it was going to be at least another 2.5 months before she got home....you know the economical option) made the decision to buy the pisa, it seems to work alot better. so with some good news today, and the support that i am getting from the nurses, and everyone at the hospital, and you ladies, i'm still truckin. so with good results from her rop eye exam today....we cheer!!!!!

dont have much advice but wanted to give you a . As soon as you can hold her look into kangarroo care. Amazing research has been done that suggestes not only will the baby root for the breast but moms milk supply increases. Im not on my computer or I would give you the link but you should google it, hth
    kate
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

My daughter was born at 25 weeks weighing 1 pound 12 ounces and was, at first, given my EBM only. But, then she became quite ill with fungal sepsis and then NEC, so she lost some weight. Instead of supplementing with formula, her Neonatologist decided to add Human Milk Fortifier (HMF) to her feeds (once she started feeding again, that is) to increase her calories. She then slowly started to gain weight while still receiving the benefits of EBM. Have you talked to your LO's doctor about HMF? We used Enfamil HMF even after we came home. I too pumped and pumped and pumped until I literally would cry when it came time to sit and pump. I knew it was the BEST for my daughter, but the NICU rollercoaster is an exhausting one and seeing those few precious cc's trickle out of the pump was hard!! Pump as much as you can--I probably only pumped 6 times a day--I would sleep through the alarm in the middle of the night because I was so exhausted! My daughter's hospital was an hour and a half away and with three hours of driving, a husband, a 7 year-old, my schooling, a house, pumping, etc....it REALLY wore me down! My supply took a huge dive, but I did the best I could. When my LO finally came home, it took quite awhile for my supply to increase (with the help of Blessed Thistle, Fenugreek, Mother's Milk), but it did--although it still wasn't enough for her to continue gaining. The LC at the NICU reminded me that just as our little ones weren't ready to be born so early, our bodies weren't quite ready to produce milk so soon, either. Realizing that I was doing everything I could do, within my own personal power, helped me finally be at peace with our situation. Weight gain is SOOO important for preemies, as you know, that we HAD to do whatever it took for her to gain--which meant that we did eventually have to wean her to a special formula at about 7 months-I knew that if she didn't gain, she would not have the strength to develop physically or mentally. But, I am thankful for the months of BM that she did receive--every little bit helps! She's now a whopping 16 pounds at 10 months (6 1/2 adjusted) and thriving. So, DON"T put anymore stress on yourself than the circumstances in your life have already given you! Your love for your daughter will see you through and she will thrive, no matter what!! Please feel free to send me a Private Message if you need to talk!! Kelly
    Last edited by kellerinaone; August 24th, 2007 at 11:09 AM.

i just want to thank everyone for their help, and support. today is a good day, and we are starting to get better in the milk department, but.....she has had her breathing tube out for the last 13 hours, and is doing completly awsome....i'm sooo happy, it's a great day....

Yeah! Glad to hear that things are going well for you!

So happy for you and your little one!!

Keep up the great work, mama!

Tiana

Yeah!

How is everything going now?

Thumbs up Re: loosing faith

well lets see, as of 10 this morning, we are officially 1 week of that vent and she is finally in a crib . it sounds funny, but anyone who knows about nicu's, that's a big step. that means she can maintain her own temp, and body weight. they put her in her boppy yesterday, and she was so happy just chilling, looking around at everything, and sucking on her bink. and then her nurse last night had her in a bouncy seat yesterday. and i went to the drs on wednesday, and got an rx for the reglan, and personally, it already seems to be working. it's not making me crazy yet {although i don't know if i can get any crazier...lol} but it is making me really, really tired, but right now, if it helps, it's worth the try. and boy are they working up on her feeds, and this is her last step to come home. with having the nec, and the surgeries, they have to make sure that she is eating, digesting, and passing everything properly, and so far so good. but i've made a deal for now, so i can work on having a freezer stash for when she comes home. what i get at home, i keep at home, and what i get at the hospital, stays there, because they can get the donor milk with no issue, to give her what i haven't. it's a little selfish, but i don't want to be stuck when she gets home, and not have enough for her. thanks ladies for all your support, and your donated milk, it is so appreciated!