Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Strange color bowel movement! Help!

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Strange color bowel movement! Help!

I actually already asked this in another thread but it was about another topic and I want to throw this open to everyone in a new thread.

My poor LO sometimes has bowel movements that are a forest green color. I spoke to the doctor, who just said that green BMs are normal but I forgot to mention just HOW green it was. Some might even call it British Racing Green but my husband says that no one knows what that color is so I just say Forest Green. Has anyone else had this happen with their LO?

More details:
    >>she breastfeeds AND gets formula
    >>we only just started breastfeeding a couple weeks ago - she's 7 weeks - because she was very little at birth and had a weak suck. I pumped but had to supplement as well. She now gets less formula but we still give it to her in the evenings.
    >>she gets gas a lot
    >>right now she's only having 1 dirty diaper a day although she has the normal amount of wet diapers.

Thanks.

Default Re: Strange color bowel movement! Help!

There are a few interesting links to check regarding poop:

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-baby-A.htm
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...erns.html#poop
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBstooling.html

It is normal for breastfed babies to have green stools, even consistently, but we all have been scared/disturbed/amazed/amused but our darlings' green poop... don't worry and check the links! hope it helps!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Thanks! I appreciate it. I am still a little worried, though, because this color of green is so strange and none of the articles I've read mention the exact color green. It's the color of the bar at the top of this web page - where it says "Happy Mothers, Breastfed Babies."

Has anyone else witnessed stools this color??

I know british racing car green (I used to fantasize about having a convertible jag this color!)

Could be not enough hindmilk? I usually take green stools to be an indication of this. Block nursing and/or doing other things to get my LO to empty the breast for a few days seems to take care of it for us.

do you eat alot of greens?
    If I had a spinach salad my dd would have thoose weird green poops.

hmmm...i have kale once in a while...i wonder if that could be it?

re hindmilk...LO eats for a long time so i wonder if i'm just not making it???

Quote Originally Posted by jcclowen View Post
    I know british racing car green (I used to fantasize about having a convertible jag this color!)

Could be not enough hindmilk? I usually take green stools to be an indication of this. Block nursing and/or doing other things to get my LO to empty the breast for a few days seems to take care of it for us.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

If your baby is only 7 wks old, it's probably just some 'Bili' poop. My baby had a big bout with jaundice and it took him a good while to get rid of all the excess biliruben in his system. It usually comes out through the bowels, making it green. If you're worried though, check with your ped.