Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS/BLW Poop Question.

Default BLS/BLW Poop Question.

Okay so this is a little gross, but most of what Daniel eats comes right back out looking the same. We are doing pieces of food and its not getting digested. Wouldn't purees allow the body to better absorb the nutrients?

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: BLS/BLW Poop Question.

Daniel is 8 months old isnt it....guess what! same story with my son, everything he ate was coming out looking the same..made me sad....and confused ...but sine the last 2-3 weeks (he is 9.5) its not like that any more.. (some bits come out the same but most of it gets digested it seems)...I guess after the 9 months grwoth spurt his system matured and was able to handel these bits of food. I would say wait and see.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

One of the moms in the BLW yahoo group asked this same question, and the other moms said, "nope, you just can't see the pureed foods as well". Like PP said, as your LO's body matures, more and more of the food should be digested

anonymous Guest

we have this still at 2 Lyn so I don't think it's something that isn't normal

Also, whose to say it isn't getting digested "at all"? We as new mothers, are fairly obsessed with poop! I mean did you ever thing you'd spend so much time looking through it and marveling at how it smells? Because as far as I'm concerned it should have it's own board as much as people around here want to talk about it!
    The fact that it's showing up in his poop is a great sign. It lets you know (Finally) that he is SWALLOWING what he is "eating" and not just pushing it around his mouth. Remember, the idea with CLS is BABY STEPS at BABY'S PACE. He's right on track. If they start experimenting with food around 6 months, two to 3 months later they may begin to swallow. But it's still just for fun, exploration and experience. He is still just learning how to eat and the real answer to your question is It Doesn't Matter. Before the year point all his nutritional needs are met by YOU and you just aren't going to have to wean him off purees after that because you will have a one year old who already knows how to chew and swallow whole foods and will more than probably be eating 3 meals a day plus snacks. Your doing great.

Way too lazy for formula

with Shelly.

We still have some days where Haylee has "stuff" undigested in her poop. The next day, the same food will digest. I remember with kids I babysat, I saw it and thought it was gross, but it must be normal!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Also, whose to say it isn't getting digested "at all"? We as new mothers, are fairly obsessed with poop! I mean did you ever thing you'd spend so much time looking through it and marveling at how it smells? Because as far as I'm concerned it should have it's own board as much as people around here want to talk about it!

BTW, cute avatar Lyn!!
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

For us - DS really took off eating solids around 8.5 mo or so. He had some pretty exciting poops (mostly breastmilk poops with some undigested stuff mixed in) until he was about 10 mo old. Since then he's had mostly "big people" poops but at almost 13 mo still has identifiable food.

My advice is to keep doing what you're doing - pretty soon Daniel's chewing and digestion will both start to improve. And with baby led foods you won't need to later wean him off purees.

We just came back from a 4 day trip and it was wonderful to know that DS can eat most "real" food so we didn't have to travel with much special food for DS - mostly just some snacks for the airplane trip.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks!!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Something else to think about (or not ) how often do you inspect your own as much (or at all) to be able to compare. kwim? For all we know they're digesting it all the same as we would, that is if we we kinda gumming it all

Just a thought
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.