Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not pumping enough

Exclamation Not pumping enough

I've posted about this before but have not found a solution. I have an 8 month old and work full time. She needs 2 6oz bottles a day while she is at daycare. I used to be able to pump 12+ oz per day but now only pumping 5 - 6 oz per day. I pump at least 5 times a day, more if my schedule allows it. I have gradually decreased the amount I am able to pump without changing anything. I use a pump in style advanced. I have also tried a playtex embrace. I want to continue to leave only breastmilk (no formula) for her to have while I am away, but I am afraid that I am not going to be able to pump enough for her to continue on only breastmilk. She does eat solids and she is having solids at daycare. I can pump enough for her over the weekend to have 2 bottles on Monday and Tuesday, but by Wednesday, the milk I pumped over the weekend is gone and I only have enough milk for 1 bottle each day. On the days she doesn't have enough milk for a second bottle, she gets an extra meal of solids instead.

I am concerned because she is small and most of her nutrients are supposed to be from milk, not solids. She nurses 3 times per day during the week, however her afternoon feeding is not a very successful one. She has better things to do than nurse. I pump twice while I am at work and I pump every time she nurses. I even try to squeeze in a pumping session between her two evening nursing sessions.

Thank you for any suggestions!
    Brandy
    Mommy to Emma Faith 9/22/05

Default Re: Not pumping enough

My first question would be how long do you work? If you are working a typical 8 hour day, I'm not sure that pumping twice during that time would be enough. Where I work, I know of at least 3 of us that nurse and are pumping. I pump 3 times during the work day and the other two ladies are pumping 4 times. I go every 3 hours. If it's possible, you might want to inquire about pumping more often. Some employers may be supportive, others may not.

Also I've heard the herb Fenugreek (sp?) can help increase milk supply. One of the other ladies I work with is taking it to help increase her supply. She's getting an extra 3 oz per day by taking 3 pills, 3 or 4 times a day. I'm not sure what the dosage is. I personally haven't tried it but I know other people who have with some success.

Best of luck to you

I am away from her for 9 hours per day. Unfortunately, I am only able to get away to pump twice a day. On days that I can get out the door a little early, I pump as soon as I get to work. That gives me 3 sessions while I am away from her. Increasing pumping sessions during work is not possible. Also, I have tried fenugreek with little luck. I am trying it again but am not counting on it to help. I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I drink lots of water, I go to bed at night when she goes to sleep and sleep for about 8 hours. I am just too tired to get up during the night and add a pumping session while she is sleeping. (Even though she doesn't nurse at night, she still wakes up on and off. She doesn't want to nurse.)

Thanks for the help,
    Brandy
    Mommy to Emma Faith 9/22/05

What I want to know is how much you were pumping while your baby was an infant? I have a newborn (2 months old), and I'm currently pumping about an average of 20 oz - 23.5 oz per day. Of course, we are also supplementing with formula. Is my supply about average? I was unable to breastfeed right from the start because he could not latch. Please advise. Thanks!

http://bbq.polartreasure.com

Brandy,

Sorry I don't have any advice for you. Since pumping more at work is not an option for you, I don't know what to do.

superbabe621:
    Quote Originally Posted by superbabe621
    ...I'm currently pumping about an average of 20 oz - 23.5 oz per day. Of course, we are also supplementing with formula. Is my supply about average?
    Are you exclusively pumping, or breastfeeding as well? If you are breastfeeding too, I'm wondering why you are supplementing with formula.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Quote Originally Posted by superbabe621
    What I want to know is how much you were pumping while your baby was an infant? I have a newborn (2 months old), and I'm currently pumping about an average of 20 oz - 23.5 oz per day. Of course, we are also supplementing with formula. Is my supply about average? I was unable to breastfeed right from the start because he could not latch. Please advise. Thanks!

http://bbq.polartreasure.com
    I was unable to breadfeed until my son was about 6 weeks old and the supply sounds about average. I would also like to know if you are nursing right now as well. As long as he's nursing well, there's no reason to supplement. I had to supplement in the very beginning but then I figured out about the pumping.

I keep trying to give him breast, but he doesn't want it. So, he's just taking the bottle right now. He can't live off of my supply alone, because he's taking like 30 oz in a sitting, about 3-4 times a day. I asked the doctor and he said that it was okay because he was super small at birth, and he's growing very well now. He was 6lbs 1.2oz at birth and now at two months he's at 12lbs 6.4oz.