Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 week old sleeping thru night

Default 6 week old sleeping thru night

My six week old is sleeping through the night! I don't think my first child did this until 1 yr or so, so this is quite a different experience! Is it okay for a breastfed baby to sleep all night this early? Should I just be happy and count my lucky stars or is there reason to worry? Many thanks for your input!

Default Re: 6 week old sleeping thru night

well I'm by no means a seasoned pro or anything, but I also have a 6 week old who isn't sleeping through the night. My DD pediatritian told me that it's ok for my baby to sleep for 5 hours. I would think that as long as your baby is gaining weight that it should be fine. I say count your lucky stars!!

so long as baby is eating 8-12x /day and is having a good output, I would think all is well...I hope it lasts

How long has he been sleeping like that?

I ask because usually a baby will sleep a lot for a couple days as part of a growth spurt. So if it hasn't been long the baby may go back to shorter sleep.

Enjoy it as long as the baby is showing good signs otherwise (dirty diapers, alert while awake)!
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

Smile Re: 6 week old sleeping thru night

Good point syn. 6 weeks is typically a growth spurt time. She has only been sleeping through the night for the last 5 days or so, although she has never had more than 2 feedings a night, so we'll see. I just can't get over how well she sleeps. Like I said, my first was NOTHING like this! I walked around like a zombie all the time.

Mine slept throught the night around then. As long as she is eating and having dirty and wet diapers and gaining weight I would not worry. Get some sleepy yourself and count yourself lucky. Mine did until about 3 months then she was up multiple times guess she hit a growth spurt, she went back to only getting up once at about 5 or 6 months and at 9 months went back to sleeping through again so enjoy it!
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

My daughter Brooke slept through from about 10 weeks (that's 12 hours).

My mum said that myself and my brother slept through from about 6 weeks, so maybe you're just one of the lucky ones!