Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to pump?

Default When to pump?

My son is 8 weeks old and I haven't pumped yet---I haven't found any reason to. My mom has suggested that I pump so my husband and I can go on a date, and that it might also be a good time to 'test' how well my boy does with a bottle.
    It's not totally necessary.
    What are your thoughts? pump, or just stay home---or bring him with us?

Default Re: When to pump?

If you want to go on a date night, that's great. And you can pump a bottle or two for that, but I wouldn't wait to the day of... you want to make sure your lo will take the bottle. I did this by hand expressing 2 oz. He took it fine. I tried it one more time (a few days latter)just to be sure, and he took it again.

You can pump a few days b4.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I have been pumping since he was born with a manual pump and recently rented an electric pump. I think you should start now and get a little stock in the freezer. It has been soo helpful when hubby gives the 3 am feeding on the weekend and let me sleep in. I also take a bottle with me whenever I go somewhere. I am not comfortable with BFing in Public. I usually only give 1 breast per feeding b/c lo doesn't take the other, then I will pump the one that he didn't feed on. But I am not pumping consistently yet. I go back to work in about 5 weeks.

its up to you, Me personally I would not be able to enjoy myself I would take the lo. But we all need a mental break and if you are cool with it definitely pump a bottle. I wouldn't pump too much more than you need, probably just one feeding. If you go beyond that you may become engorged and need to pump while you are gone. Have fun,relax and congrats
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Just to add what others have said...

it's best to pump in the morning because you're supply is at it's fullest then so you'll have more chance of expressing something rather than later in the evening when you've been run off your feet all day.

Enjoy your date!