Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 month check up for dd/solids question

Default 6 month check up for dd/solids question

My dd's 6 month checkup was today and the doc. said that she should be eating solids 3 times a day and that it's AS IMPORTANT as breastmilk. She's a great ped. and gives me no grief about my choices (waiting until 6 months, no vaccinations, etc...). My dd is only eating some solids at dinner time and not in place of breastmilk. We're more in the 'trying it out' stage right now. Is there any validity to the 3 times a day?

Also, I've read from other sources that grains should not be given until baby is 1 year old due to a lack of an enzyme that breaks it down. Does anyone know about this? I remember giving my two older children grains at 4 months and they did fine (they weren't bf either though). Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Tracy

Default Re: 6 month check up for dd/solids question

Just listen to your baby, she'll let know how much and how often. It's sound as you've a good ped, but you guys sometimes aren't going to be in the same page, heck no one will, everybody have their differences! Don't force your baby to eat just because someone else says so. Let her eat at her own pace.

Quote Originally Posted by mom23
    We're more in the 'trying it out' stage right now.
    pretty sure this is right on - solids are mostly for experimenting in 1st year!

We started around 6 mos & it takes awhile for any baby to get used to eating solids (and for us to figure out what she'll eat!) and so eating 3 meals of solids at this point is ALOT! I disagree that its as imp as BM at this point also. Sometimes we try 3X a day but she rarely eats 3X. Daycare will give her cereal which she'll refuse, so they'll try sweet potatoes at lunch which she'll eat (a tblsp or 2) and then if we have time at dinner we may give some cheerios, lil pieces of veggies or chicken or just some frozen BM in the baby feeder. So really she's taking a few tblsp a day. Which is fine with me. We're still in the trying it out phase too so I doubt we'll get up to 3 "meals" for some time.

Yes, I agree.
    I would never force my dd to take food anyway, but she does love it and would eat it whenever I offered I think.
    I do have to admit... since I didn't breastfeed my older two kids (ages 13 & 10 now) and I did everything the ped. said... it's been hard for me to get out of that mindset! It felt very strange waiting "so long" to start solids (haha--not really long at all of course) and it does feel strange to be feeding her so little. So I guess I just needed reassurance.

Next time this comes up you could try asking your ped. for her references on her suggestion.

Then you can check this out: (not an LLL source)

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

and have it on hand to explain how the caloric value of BM is greater, per ounce, than almost anything a baby could eat.

I love this chart!