Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump and Dump? Please help.

Default Pump and Dump? Please help.

Today was our anniversary, and we went out to dinner. I had about two glasses of wine, which was great since I haven't had any for about a year and a half! I fed our LO (almost 6 months old) thawed frozen bm when we got home, but my breasts, which are used to a night feeding, are now engorged. I'm going to pump at about midnight; I finished my last glass of wine at about 9:30 p.m. Do I need to dump this milk, or will it be okay for my LO to drink it tomorrow or for me to freeze it?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Pump and Dump? Please help.

Because of time differences I have no idea what time it is for you, can you clarify? Pumping and dumping is probably not necessary. Alcohol passes into and out of bm quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Because of time differences I have no idea what time it is for you, can you clarify? Pumping and dumping is probably not necessary. Alcohol passes into and out of bm quickly.

I plan to pump in about a half an hour. That will be two and a half hours since I finished my second drink. I hope this helps. Thanks so much for your help.

Ok, well this is a rough paraphrasing of the LLL question and answer book on Alcohol consumption and bf. In general once you feel your buzz go away you are good to go. Alcohol gets into your blood quickly, but also exits rapidly out of milk and blood. The book says that it does cause your baby to nurse for a longer time and receive less milk, so be prepared for a slight change in nursing patterns tonight. Please don't dump it, and don't sit there engorged either, waiting for the clock. Empty some out before you cause a problem or impaction.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; August 18th, 2007 at 09:46 PM.

So I can feed it to my LO tomorrow? Thanks again for your help!