Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need advice

Default need advice

Hi, My son will be 3 weeks old on Monday. The 1st week BF was full of problems and I wanted to give up, but didn't and it seemed to get better during the 2nd week. Now, there are more "problems" and I am worried I am doing something wrong and creating bad habits or causing the problems. I think the latch on is fine because I am no longer sore all the time and sometimes only briefly feel pain as he starts to suck. I can hear him swallowing, sometimes very fast and he will get choked and have to cough, so I think my milk is fine. The issue is when he latches on and starts to feed he gets really fidgety, pulling away from my breast but not letting go, moving his hands all over his face & my breast, sometimes breaking the latch, squirming his whole body and then he will pull away and fuss/start to cry. This will go on for several minutes. I try burping him, thinking maybe he was drinking too fast, that doesn't seem to help. Even if he does burp he still fusses and squirms. If I switch sides he will immediately start to suck from the other side but w/in a couple of minutes start to fuss & squirm there too. This is much worse in the evenings (6:00pm to 10:00pm). And after he goes to sleep for the night, his middle of the night feedings were going much better. He wasn't fussing at all during those feedings until last night --- he didn't fall asleep as easily as he normally does and then when he woke for his 2 night time feedings the 1st time @ 1:30 he fussed & squirmed and I quess I finally got enough in him to settle him down that he went sleep (although not at the breast as usual), then @ 4:00 when he woke again he just would not eat for more than a minute or two at a time, at about 5:30 I just put him back in his bassinett where he stayed awake but not crying until 7:00 when I tried to feed him again, he wouldn't eat much, I tried to feed him again @ 7:45 and he fell asleep agian w/out eating much. This has only been going on for about 4 days, he still is having pee & poop diapers, although the poop seems to be less than normal. I would appreciate any advice. I have been giving him a pacifier sometimes---have stopped that, thinking that might be part of the problem. Thanks for any help, Dawn

Default Re: need advice

Hey Dawn -- congratulations on your new son, and welcome! It sounds like you have already succeeded very well with the early weeks of breastfeeding. There's a lot to learn quickly, for both mother and baby, and sometimes the baby's behavior can be quite puzzling, especially since they grow and change so quickly.

The fast swallowing, choking/coughing, and pulling off the breast soon after starting to nurse all are consistent with an overactive letdown (the link below is reliable info, but not a LLL resource):

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

The pacifier may have contributed to his fussiness at the breast, so if you can get by without it, that might be wise. Babies definitely vary on how well they can switch between artificial nipples and mom.

Look over the OALD info and let us know what you think. You're the expert on your baby, and once the basics are established, much of the rest of the process is a matter of patiently working together to figure out the details of each phase. So hang in there; it sounds to me like you two are off to a great start!

--Rebecca

Default Re: need advice

Try laying on your back with a pillow behind and let him suck that way, maybe the fast flow of the milk is what's bothering him. In that position he'll get the milk at his own pace until he learn to deal with a bigger flow. Keep up the good work!, and let us know what worked for you.

Default Re: need advice--oversupply, overactive letdown

Thanks for the advice---Rebecca, it seems like you were right on with OALD & oversupply. Funny enough, I was beginning to think that I my milk wasn't satisfying him. I looked at the website you linked in your reply & also at the LLL website. There is some really good info on both, really in depth on LLL. The LLL FAQ's under "oversupply" gives other clues to look for to help determine if OS is the issue and some things to avoid doing that could exaggerate the problem. All the signs were there & I was doing most of the things it says to avoid. I'm so glad I posted & you answered! So I'm trying side-lying nursing as much as I can and reclining other times, that seems to help most of the time. And block-nursing alternating sides to try to correct the oversupply. He is still really gassy---I hear him passing gas a lot. Hopefully that will correct itself once my supply regulates. Thanks so much for answer & keep up the good support Dawn

Default Re: need advice--oversupply, overactive letdown

(chuckle) now I read this and see that you are already taking all the steps I outlined in my post in your other thread. That's great! I'm so glad you are finding these forums and the rest of the LLL website to be useful in supporting your breastfeeding relationship. You're doing a wonderful job!

--Rebecca