Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often?

Default How often?

For those of you feeding baby food, (we started two weeks ago) how often do/did you feed and when did you increase meals? Also how long and in what order did you give fruits, veggies, then meats, etc? He eats about 2 times per day now - sometimes a full jar in 1 meal, sometimes half. His poop has changed - I wouldn't say he's straining but he makes little noises when he poops now, so I can tell when he's going and am not shocked by the smell - which is nice. He was doing very well but spit up a lot tonight. I think it was because he has been eating mostly fruit and he had sweet potato chicken tonight. I think that was too much for him. He usually eats about 30 - 45 mins after nursing. Just wondering how other moms taking this route are doing it. TIA.

Default Re: How often?

We started solids about a month ago. I started with yellow/orange veggies, then greens, now fruits. I only did dinner with the veggies. Now that we started fruits I do fruit for breakfast and veggie for dinner. DD can eat a whole banana for breakfast! Since I"m doing homemade food I use the mini glad containers- 1/2 cup each. She can usually eat almost a whole one of those for dinner. So she eats twice a day. Once all the fruits are introduced then it's on to meats. BUt I think I will jsut make her some plain meat andgive it to her, chooped up pr pureed. I don't know if I can give her meat from a jar-yuck. I figure I should give her stuff I'd want to eat and I'd never eat meat from a jar!

Hope that helps!
    Proud wife to Pete, 5-9-04
    Proud 1st time mom to Lilly 2-1-07 born at 36 weeks, 5lbs 1 oz, au natural!

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
    Handmade accessories for mom and baby
    All made with love, and by hand[/COLOR]

Once per day is plenty at this age. Remember that solids are mainly for fun and experimentation at first, the nutrition part comes later.

I give a new fruit or veggie in the morning-just a few little tastes. In the evening he gets a fruit and/or veggie (something he's already had for the 4-6 days in a row to test for allergies). Since it's just for experimentation, I don't feed him too much. He gets about 1-2 oz. of food. I skipped rice cereal, and sometimes I give him oatmeal at dinner (which he loves).

I switch back and forth between fruits and veggies. Some people do veggies first and then fruits, but I just kind of do whatever-no specific order.

We haven't done meats. I was told no meats until 8 months or so. I'm going to ask the doctor this week at his appt.

We started giving our son solids at around 5.5 months. He was only receiving them once a day at dinner time until around 6.5 months when we increased to 2x a day. There are days that he doesn't always get lunch time solids, but we always make sure he has them at dinner time. I have no plans to increase to a third meal for atleast another month if not longer. Our son is 7.5 months old.

We did vegetables first and then fruits, but I didn't do them in any particular order.

My son is 7.5 months as well and he is only eating 2 meals a day. Somedays he doesn't even want that. He would rather nurse, but other days he really does want it. So if I offer and he doesn't want it I don't worry. I don't plan to add a 3rd meal for a while basically because I really don't want to wean at a year. I also don't think he is ready for the third meal because he isn't showing signs. This week he hasn't had a drop of solids and is fine.

0-2 times a day depending on her desire. If she sees me eating something now she wants to taste it, if she isn't interested I don't encourage it. She is eating not eating baby food if that matters.

Well, we ended up cutting way back on food for a while. He was spitting up and actually throwing up alot. He's only had baby food once in about two weeks. We nursed exclusively for a few days then started cereal once a day. He is still spitting up but that is even with just nursing. He refuses to burp until he is completely finished nursing. But sometimes he is still spitting an hour after he eats. I know too much dairy in my diet has affected him so I'm cutting back. Any suggestions for the spitting?

I am feeding 1-2 times per day. I've used only pears, mangos, squash and homemade rice cereal so far because those are the only things I was able to get/make organic. I'm waiting to get to Dubai to buy some organic fresh veggies and fruit which I will then make and freeze I guess.

DS only eats about 3-4 baby spoonfuls mixed with a little BM at his meals. He gets very excited when he sees me come out of the kitchen with the bowls, though!

I really have no idea what I'm doing. It's all very confusing. And I have bad allergies, mild asthma and food allergies so I feel I have to be extremely careful for now with which foods are introduced.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky