Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Defrosted Breast Milk

Default Defrosted Breast Milk

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me - My LO has been receiving EBM since birth which was necessary due to her being in the NICU for 1 1/2 weeks and she has never latched. I have a nice freezer stash and decided I should rotate some of the older milk (2 months old). When this milk was pumped I had a very nasty case of mastitis that had lasted 6 weeks (she was eating this milk fine at the time pumped).

So today my LO (12 weeks old) received the first few bottles of the defrosted milk. She is a grazer and will eat in 1 -2 oz increments all day. I usually put 2.5-3oz in each bottle (hoping she will eat more). The fresh bottles stay fine at room temp. until she finishes but today the defrosted milk seemed to go bad very quickly (like within an hour or so).

Does this indicate that my stash is bad? How long will defrosted EBM stay at room temp.? Thanks for the info.

Default Re: Defrosted Breast Milk

I'm not sure if this will answer all of your questions, but here is a good site to look at http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html

I have read that previously frozen milk may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours after it has completely thawed. I can't find anything yet about how long it is good at room temperature.