Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: good news, bad news?

Default good news, bad news?

Hi ladies,
    My precious little Noah is learning to breast feed successfully after 3 weeks of struggling. I breast feed him 30-40 min, bottle feed him (because I can't give him all his supply) and then pump the rest of the milk.

I was getting 8-10 oz per day before starting this schedule. Now when I pump I get less. Is it normal to get less after the baby is fed from the breast? In a way it makes sense because the baby already emptied some. I am concerned that my supply may be going down.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Cheruka

Default Re: good news, bad news?

I'm a bit confused. Is he not satisfied after the 30-40 min feeding? Why exactly do you have to then feed from a bottle and then pump? That sounds like a very long procedure to do each time.

How often is he eating? Personally, I would think that nursing him would be enough. Then nurse again if he is hungry 2 hours later (or whenever). You'd be better off to build your supply by nursing him more frequently and if you are topping him off with formula then your body doesn't know to make more milk. Another reason to nurse more frequently for supply is because the baby is more effective than the pump is. Some people get very little from a pump but their baby can nurse much more effectively and get plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by momto2girls View Post
    I'm a bit confused. Is he not satisfied after the 30-40 min feeding? Why exactly do you have to then feed from a bottle and then pump? That sounds like a very long procedure to do each time.

How often is he eating? Personally, I would think that nursing him would be enough. Then nurse again if he is hungry 2 hours later (or whenever). You'd be better off to build your supply by nursing him more frequently and if you are topping him off with formula then your body doesn't know to make more milk. Another reason to nurse more frequently for supply is because the baby is more effective than the pump is. Some people get very little from a pump but their baby can nurse much more effectively and get plenty.
    I agree!! How are his wet and poopy diapers? Weight?
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Congratulations on making it this far! Noah sounds like he is doing great. As PP asked, what is his diaper output? Thats a good indicator of getting enough. I don't believe its uncommon for pumping results to taper off when you are nursing. Also around 4 weeks your milk supply settles in to meet baby's needs. Pumping too much can tell your body that baby needs more milk than he really needs and can lead to over supply.

I would suggest letting Noah be your guide and not worry about whats pumping.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Hi, we had some problems right after his birth and he was separated from me for 9 days. So, we could not really work on nursing much till he came home. I am seeing a lactation consultant now after almost 4 weeks post partum and Noah seems to be getting the hang of it. Since we are not fully breastfeeding yet, the consultant recommended a plan for us. I feed him first, bottle feed him and then pump. Yes, it does take along time and I am supposed to pump 8 times a day! I do 6 times. His diaper output is fine. My Q is is my milk supply going downhill and it seems like it is because I am producing less after giving him the breast.

It sounds like your body is responding to a decreased need for milk, as the pump is not as efficient at removing milk than your baby. Personally, I would ditch the bottles if at all possible and just nurse, nurse, nurse. If it means nursing him every 30-40 minutes, that still seems like less work that breastfeeding, preparing a bottle, bottlefeeding, pumping, and then all the clean-up involved. After a few days, your body will respond to the demand for more milk and after a while your baby will be able to go longer between feedings.

Good for you for preservering through this and contacting a LC. Is your little one 3 weeks old, or is that how long you've been able to bf him (you said you were separated for 9 days)?

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Man, oh man. Your story sounds similar to mine. My LO was in the hospital for a week after I got out and no matter how hard we tried, she just couldn't BF. A lactation consultant confirmed that her suck was weak and to start pumping at least 8x a day to get my supply ready so that when SHE was ready, I'd have enough. BUT I NEVER PUMPED ENOUGH MILK TO FEED HER BREAST MILK FROM BOTTLES EXCLUSIVELY. I thought, and the LC thought, that I just wasn't making enough milk but guess what - you will never really pump the same amount of milk as your baby will take out through BF. Yes, the boobs just don't respond to the pump and will give less because the pump doesn't extract as much milk as a baby does. I'm pretty sure that's the way it works.

My breasts started making more - and even leaking which they had never done - once I started breastfeeding more. Can you experiment with JUST BFing and see how that goes??

I have been nursing and pumping for 2 weeks now. My baby is 4 weeks old. While he is getting better, he is not at a point where he can strictly be on the breast yet. He only likes the left breast and also still falls asleep after a while. I assume he is stopping when I run out. When I pump afterwards, I don't get much milk from the breast he drank from for 25+ min. I am trying to cut down on pumping but I sill have to pump the right breast that he does not drink from.
    This whole thing is so frustrating! I can guarantee that 8x pumping willnot happen with all the work I have to do. The best I can do is 6x pumping. LC told me to stop cooking and doing the housework but not everybody can afford to hire help. I am already staying home and will be for a year. So, we will only have one income.