Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!! Sleepless nights

Default Help!!!! Sleepless nights

Can anyone give me some good advice? This is my second daughter that I am nursing. She is 2 1/2 months old. My first daughter didn't get up more than 2-3 times a night for feedings. However. my second daughter has been waking up hourly between every 1 1/2 to 2 hours beginning at 10pm. We are getting up 5-6 times a night. I don't think she has day/night confusion, but sometimes she seems to sleep for about 3 hour intervals during the day. Also, during the night, she only cires to eat, she then usually eats on one side and falls back alseep. It's not tha she wakes up and stays up, it is just that she wakes up so frequently and needs to eat. I have tried to wake her to get her to eat on the other side, but she won't budge,so I put her down. This has been going on more consistently for the past 5 nights. I am really having a hard time with it as I lack alot of sleep. Eveytime I fall asleep, shortly thereafter she's crying to be fed again. Also, I can't enlist my husbands help with feedings as she is refusing to take a bottle which started about three weeks ago and we are trying all things with this problem. Can anyone help? Thanks

Default Re: Help!!!! Sleepless nights

She could be going thru a growth spurt. My lo feed every hr when he was having one.

As far as bottles, what kind have you tried? have you tried different nipples?

Stay encouraged!!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Do you co-sleep? Learning to nurse in the side-lying position could enable you to catch a few more winks. Just switch sides when she wakes, then drift back off.

I agree, co-sleep has been the only thing that kept me sane thru 3 bf babies! My latest has had problems bf while lying down, & we have had several nights (& days) recently she eats every 45 min.- an hr. I started propping up on king size pillows & bringing my Boppy to bed with me. I get to rest & so can she..just switch sides if she wakes up again!

Hi

Sounds to me like she could be gearing up for her 12 week growth spurt...

I'll just tell you this my baby girl is 12 weeks old and we have been doing the same thing the last couple of nights. The bad thing for me is that I had gall bladder surgery on Friday so it is super rough waking up that often right now! And you know ur husband really can't help in that department!! About bottles I find the only one Madison likes is the Playtex Nurser w/ bottle liners (so easy) and the Soothie bottle (which is just like her pacifier). Another thing I found out w/ my baby is that she prefers the milk in her bottle to be warm and not luke warm like most babies! She also will only take the bottle if I run the nipple of it under hot water so that it is warm by the time I give it to her. Good luck!

I feel like you have just written my life's story for the past couple of weeks! 8 Week old DS has been waking up every hour for the past two nights, every hour and a half for the past couple of weeks, and he never went for longer than 2-3 hours prior to that. Everyone keeps telling me that it's because he's not getting full feedings, which could be true, but it's so difficult to try to wake a baby up a 3am! He almost never has a full feeding in the middle of the night, yet he seems satisfied enough to go back to sleep for a half hour or so. And just like you, DS won't take a bottle, so it's just me and him, every night. Ii used to use Avent, and he took to those quickly, but then I thought he was having nipple confusion, so I stopped the bottle. I recently tried to give him the bottle again, figuring it was 8 weeks, and he wouldn't take the Avents at all! I went out and bought the Dr. Browns, and he drank like a champ for a couple of feedings. Now he won't take it at all! Grrr....
    I just want to tell you that I feel your pain. I know that this phase will pass, like everything else has, but while you're in the middle of it, it's hard to have much hope. Hang in there!
    Last edited by Bransmommy; August 19th, 2007 at 10:52 PM.

All I can say is CO-SLEEP!!! My husband and I went through something similar with our dd. She would not sleep for the first few weeks at night unless someone was holding her. All night long my hubby and I were taking shifts holding her until she woke up to eat. Finally neither of us could handle the no sleep, so we started co-sleeping. She is now 5 months old, and she usually only co-sleeps a couple times a week and not even the whole night. IT will drastically emprove your baby's nights if you also put your day schedule into a different pattern. Follow this during the day Eat, Play, Sleep!!

To co-sleep, when lying facing the outside of the bed, prop a pillow behind lo so as to keep him from rolling off the bed, then when you switch sides the pillow if for your back. When facing your hubby, if you want a barrier betweem lo and him put a pillow but if not just feed away. You will be able to fall asleep while lo is eating!!!

Good Luck!!

Enjoying my semi- 5 month old!!

Thank you everyone for your replies. It may be a growth spurt as the last two nights have been slightly better. As for the bottles. I have tried two latex nipples different styles with the playtex disposable bottle system. I have tried warming the nipple before giiving it to dd, I have tried nursing her first then trying the bottle, i have tried giving it to her while sleeping. All attempts are failures. I will keep trying to get her to take the bottle, I will continure breastfeeding, as i beleive in it so much, and I will take anymore suggestions. Thanks again.

what about the silicone nipple? Or try the Avent.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)