Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I be worried?

Default Should I be worried?

My 7.5 week old son had been gaining weight at about 2 ozs per day since close to birth. Then yesterday I weiged him and in 15 days he had only gained 14 ozs. I know that 1 oz per day is the norm, but since he decreased so much I wonder if that is something to worry about. Each time he was measured on the same scale and was naked.
    BTW... he weighed 8 lbs 5 ozs at birth, was 7 lbs 11 ozs when he left the hospital and weighed 12 lbs 12 ozs yesterday.

Also, I was told by a few LC's that I should feed him 20 mins on each side. He is a very demanding feeder and never seems satiated even after 40 mins total. Perhaps I should increase the amount of time I feed him for a little while. He still feed every 2.5 to 3 hours day or night. Any advice?

Thanks!

Default Re: Should I be worried?

How's his diaper output?

My DD slowed down her weight gain at about 7 weeks as well although she slowed to about 5 oz/week at that point. It sounds completely normal. As long as his diaper output is still good, you have nothing to worry about.

As for length of feedings, watch DS, not the clock. Let DS feed on one side until he's done (pulls off by himself or falls asleep), then switch if he still wants more. There is no set time length that should be followed.

Good luck! It sounds like things are going great though.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

When my daughter dropped down a couple of percentile lines on her weight chart, I almost freaked out. Fortunately, my sensible health visitor told me not to worry as long as she was putting on weight at a steady rate, it didn't matter if the rate was less than the average. Just to be on the safe side, I fed her every two hours, whether she indicated hunger or not. She was a dainty baby throughout her first year, then she caught up and is now quite tall and sturdy.

My point: Every baby is different and grows at their own rate. You needn't get worried if they don't follow what is the norm.

He's having at least 2 large BM's per day and everytime I change his diaper it quite heavy.

Should I keep feeding him past 1 hour if he still acts hungry? Also, he has been pulling on my breast and acting frustrated recently. Does this mean he's not getting enough?

Thanks!!

By his diaper output it sound as he getting enough, watch the baby and not the clock. Babies do a lot of comfort nursing too, sometimes it feel like they're on 24/7!

Also, he has been pulling on my breast and acting frustrated recently
    Does he do that at the beginning, during the feeding or when?

Quote Originally Posted by tl01
    Also, he has been pulling on my breast and acting frustrated recently. Does this mean he's not getting enough?

Thanks!!
    I think mine squirms when the flow slows down and he's frustrated. He doesn't like to work to hard! I may have a different opinion tomorrow, but for now that's what I've deduced!