Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding & solids - how much is too much?

Default Breastfeeding & solids - how much is too much?

Hi! I'm new here & have a question... My little girl is 6 1/2 months old & I've just started her on some solids (she eats about 2oz of food twice a day). She loves to eat !! She's not been picky about any of the solids I've introduced: cereal, sweet potatoes, sweet peas, a little of our foods too. I'm also breastfeeding her, about 8 times a day for usually 20 minutes each time. I wake her up once during the night to feed her too. I was wondering if I should drop down her breastfeeding some, she tends to spit up a lot. I'm not quite sure how many times a day she should breastfeed now that she's eating some solids. I'm a little overprotective, she had a little trouble gaining weight after birth & I'm always worried that she's not getting enough... Any help would be wonderful. Thanks!!

Default Re: Breastfeeding & solids - how much is too much?

i wouldn't drop the breast feeding just yet. It should be the primary source of nutrition for at least the 1st year. Solids at this age are more for experimentation.

Did the spit up start after the solids or has she always done it?

The spitting up has been an ongoing thing. Now she's starting to spit up some of the solids as well as breastmilk. I don't want to give up breastfeeding, I just wanted to know if I'm doing it too much.
    Mommy to Mary Louise, born 6/28/05, Self weaned at 2 years and 2 months

Mommy to Craig Isaac, born February 16, 2008, Self weaned 3 years and 4 months
    parttime

I would nurse her on demand. If she doesn't wake on her own, you can drop the nightime feeding. Nurse first, then offer foods.

No, you are definately not bf'ing her too much. If she'll sleep through, you could too and not worry about the nightime nursing, but other than that it sounds like you are doing exactly what you should be doing!

Hi Jennifer,
    Sounds like your dd is really into eating solids! I would caution you on offering too much at one time. Maybe she is having trouble holding down a larger amount. Remember that allowing her to choose what she eats and practice picking it up are very important factors in exploring solids. I would suggest when you do offer solids, try smaller amounts and little soft bits of safe finger foods. Most babies who have made it to the mid-year mark do not even need pureed foods at all. You can get some more ideas in the following article. Hope this helps. Let us know how she is doing!

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun99p86.html