Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rice Cereal

Default Rice Cereal

I know some people don't recommend the rice cereal, but I have a few questions for those who did give it to their babies.

1) When did you start giving it?
    2) How much did you give for a feeding?
    3) How often did you offer the cereal?

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Rice Cereal

We started at 5.5 months due to nursing problems, normally I wouldn't give anything until 6 months. At first I gave 1 tablespoon of cereal mixed with 2 oz of BM. I offered it only before bedtime around 6pm because my baby was not satisfied with BF in the evenings (and he couldn't suck long enough to empty the breasts to increase my supply- really impatient baby!).

I started around 5 months and gave about 2tbsp in the morning after LO nursed then we gradually increased the amount and started giving it 2x a day.

We started at 4.5 mos. One tablespoon per 2 oz. When feeding with a spoon this is hard and we make it a little thicker. But it is perfect when putting in a bottle (I know lots of people consider that a no no, but yes we do it). We usually give cereal at night. Sometime at dinner with a spoon and most nights an additional 2 oz milk, 1 tbs cereal in the bottle at bedtime after nursing.

Unhappy Re: Rice Cereal

We started rice cereal too and I had the same questions. My LO is 4.5 months old and I've so far only done 1 tsp of cereal with formula (I don't have any expressed bm) and feed by spoon once a day. I tried feeding her after she bf off of the low flow boob and then I go back to bf. I also tried giving her cereal after a full feeding too. She didn't eat as much when I did that. I don't know what's right. Are we supposed to just feel it out, or is there a suggested way to do this so that the milk supply doesn't dwindle???

The suggestion is until the baby is 12 months old always BF first and then offer solids. But since I knew I didn't have enough milk in the evenings anyway I gave the cereal before the bedtime BF.