Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Loves food more than breastmilk

Default Loves food more than breastmilk

I've breastfed four children, and have never had this problem...my daughter who is 11 months old LOVES to eat her baby food and some table food mashed up. She LOVES it sooo much, that she won't nurse anymore! Help! She will nurse at bedtime and will nurse first thing in the morning, but if I didn't offer, she wouldn't nurse the rest of the day. She is down to nursing three times a day ( morning, mid-afternoon and bedtime). When I nurse her mid afternoon, she reluctantly nurses for about 10 minutes and then just wants down. I've never had this problem before! The other 3 children fought me tooth and nail when I weaned, but my youngest is weaning herself and I'm not ready!!! Should I worry? My pediatrician says not to worry; that she is getting a well rounded diet, but I always thought breastmilk was more important than baby food.

Default Re: Loves food more than breastmilk

Could you express and add your breastmilk into her foods? Sometimes I had breastmilk to my son's oatmeal in the morning. Or soften his rice or millet puffs with some breastmilk.
    DS is really active and although he loves milk, he hates to sit still to get it. Perhaps you could offer a sippy cup of breastmilk at the highchair?
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

My dd is 10 1/2 mo and she only bf 4 times a day, and eats solids the rest. I think that she may be weaning herself also. IMO it is okay, as long as they are getting a well-rounded diet from other solids, and are growing accordingly I wouldn't worry. I know it is tough, but BLW is the way to go, and if they are ready, we just have to go along with it.

If you are really concerned, I would call your pediatrician.

HTH!!!
    Mommy to gorgeous Ella Jean born 10/6/2006

thanks for your replies. I can't express my milk at all. That's another thing that is completely different this time around...I've tried a zillion different types of pumps...nothing....or maybe 1 ounce after like 20 minutes of pumping. I know every child is different, and I shouldn't compare her with her siblings, but it's hard. I breastfed the others until they were about 18 months old! Well, I guess the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink!" She is getting a healthy variety of foods and is healthy, so I shouldn't complain. It's just hard, because she is the last baby I will have, and I don't want this stage to end!