Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First-time Pumper

Question First-time Pumper

I FINALLY was able to get a pump,& now I need to know what to do w/ it.
    I know how to use it,and basically just need it for the odd occasion when I may need to leave the baby w/ DH or Grandma. Also,is there a way to use it to increase a low milk volume? Any tips would be appriciated!

Default Re: First-time Pumper

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to give it time and dont get frustrated. It took me like 2 weeks to get any real amount when I pumped and I went through the "I am worthless" "why can't I do this?" phase, I want to spare you that. Keep or LOs pic around or even have him/her in the room and the main thing that I think helped me get going, I wore a robe to keep warm. If I was at all cold (and even air from the heater feels cool when blowing on you) I couldnt relax enough to get anything.

As far as increasing low volume, if you pump for a while after your LO is done nursing (like 5-10 min) that signals your body to make more, even if you dont get much. I also drink mothers milk tea, it helps enough.

I usually get about 3 oz total when I pump, but I do it 5x a day 5x a week and 1x a day on weekends.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I agree with PP. Just relax and give yourself time to get used to it. The more relaxed you stay, the easier it will be. HTH!

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Ahhh OK...I was wondering WHEN to pump, worried that if I pumped it out into a bottle,then when he'd nurse there'd be nothing there for him,and I'd have to give him the bottle which kinda makes no sense! For instance, it's 2:22 PM & I just now finished nursing him,he's been going at it since about 11:30 AM!!

Milk production runs on the principle of supply and demand. If you don't need a lot more milk, I wouldn't recommend "demanding" more after a feeding. This can easily lead to a problem with too much milk, and that is just as much of a problem as not enough. So, if your baby is getting enough:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html then don't worry too much about increasing volume.

If you need a freezer stash because you're returning to work or school, my best suggestion is to choose one time a day (morning works best for many moms) and pump at the same time every day. Your breasts will soon get the signal that you need more milk and your pumping output will increase accordingly.

Here's some tips on starting to pump:
    http://www.workandpump.com/pumping.htm