Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cause of oversupply? Solution for oversupply?

Default Cause of oversupply? Solution for oversupply?

DD is just 11 days old and my freezer stash is one to be admired!!! I can't help it. I am constantly engorged! Before my milk came in, she was nursing on colostrum for hours on end. Which I think sent the signal, "whoa, this kid NEEDS MILK"...my milk arrived toward the beginning of day 3 and then she only nursed for 10 to 15 min at a time, never long enough to drain enough of the milk to make my breast soft again. They pretty much stay firm. At night she goes for even longer stretches and I can't help but to pump some to take the edge off. Mostly I just pump an ounce or two, but lately I'm getting 3 and 4 ounces off of one while she nurses on the other.

Her output and weight gain are great, I know she's getting enough.

How can I stop this w/o ending up with some kind of serious engorgement related issues? I'm sure the pumping is making it worse, but oh sweet relief! Also, at 2 weeks, don't some of them have a growth spurt? Maybe she'll start gulping it down soon. Would block feeding help and if I try this should I quit pumping all together?

You would think I'd have these answers having nursed one for 16 1/2 mos., but we never had these issues. TIA!!!
    Last edited by NolaMomma; August 17th, 2007 at 07:34 AM.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

anonymous Guest

Default Re: Cause of oversupply? Solution for oversupply?

How wonderful to be blessed with a great supply. Have you tried weaning the pumping sessions, not all at once but make them shorter then cut them out one by one? Heat can be useful when breasts are still hard after a feeding. Maybe also trying hand expression will work to relive engorgement, reduce paid without having the increasing effect the pump has.

If you do have surplus freezer milk you may want to think of milk donation. Many mothers could really use donated milk, and sick NICU babies find it the difference between life and death sometimes.

Congrats on your newest arrival!

Pumping can certainly contribute to engorgement because it sends the signal to your breasts that you need more milk (eventhough you don't).

You could start off by nursing, and then hand expressing or pumping *just enough* for comfort on the unused side (meaning, only enough to take away the "I'm going to explode!" feeling).

If it's really bad, you might have to use the "baseline" method outlined here:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

And here's resource on engorgement:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

As soon as I got a good pump and started pumping, I had the same problem.

I put 2 gallons of milk in the freezer over the course of around 3 weeks.

Now I pump 9+ oz a sitting, and I pump every 4 hours. Though recently the left breast has been producing less but I suspect that's because of the giant lump I had there... which got drained today so I'm hoping that will all clear out for good from now on. *crosses fingers*

Good luck to you and I hope you have better success than I have with getting your supply back to an even keel.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Hi Christy,
    Yes I am afraid that I too have forgotten about the joys of nursing a newborn..
    Def a blessing that you have too much milk but annoying still I am sure.
    Yes you are right a growth spurt is coming this next week, 3 weeks is peak time. Expect nursing atleast every 1.5 hours, some fussiness etc..
    It is ok to take some off of the top but try not to pump too much, the more you pump the more you tell your body to make more milk. Try hand expression to just relieve some of the pressure. In the shower massage your breast or even in the night take a burp cloth and massage away just to make yourself more comfortable.
    This too shall pass and your body will start to make what she needs. You sound like you are doing a great job! Keep it up! Brittan-

Thanks for the advice and resources! Hopefully, armed with this info., we will have things worked out within the next couple of weeks.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.