Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply lessening after solids?

Default Supply lessening after solids?

So LO has been at this solids thing for about a month now and she is just now getting the hang of it. I'm pretty much maintaining my same nursing and pumping schedule during the week when I work. I'm noticing a slight decrease in the amount pumped. Only about a half oz less from each side. Is this normal after starting solids? I'm concerned, because, I'm afraid I'll lose more as time goes on. Should I add an extra pumping session before I go to bed or something?
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Default Re: Supply lessening after solids?

Can't help but I noticed the same thing. I thought it was due to BC pills. I'm trying Fenugreek right not and goign to add mother's milk tea to see if they help/
    Proud wife to Pete, 5-9-04
    Proud 1st time mom to Lilly 2-1-07 born at 36 weeks, 5lbs 1 oz, au natural!

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
    Handmade accessories for mom and baby
    All made with love, and by hand[/COLOR]

I did notice a decrease also after dd started solids - it was a big difference too. I added a pumping session first thing in the morning, about 1.5 hours before feeding dd- this helped the most. I also added a pumping session at work, and before bed. I also make sure I drink lots and lots of water at work, especially when I'm busy since I tend to forget then.

hiya, i was just about to post the same thing! i've been feeding solids for 3 weeks now, only tiny amounts but usually i can pump in the morning and get a full feed, now i barely get 2 oz. sorry i can't help, but i will be watching your thread so see if anyone has got any advice.

If you are working and pumping during the day, I would consider adding in a early moring pumping session. It is normal to have less milk as baby gradually replaces milk with solids. However the drawback of not being able to nurse on demand will eventually require more work on the the part of the pumping mother. Normally what would happen is that during a growth spurt your baby would start up with the cluster feeding to boost back up your milk supply. Because you will be pumping during this time, it will up to you to throw in that extra session somewhere ( your nightime and early evening nursing sessions will be taken care of by baby).

I suggest reviewing your early morning schedule. Prolactin levels are at their highest at around 3-5 am, meaning that your potential for milk"harvesting" is greatest during this time. If you are nervous you will leave nothing for baby, try pumping out just one breast ( and I mean empty ), just not both breasts. Give your body a week to figure out that more milk is required, and be easy on yourself. We all do the best we can, we are not perfect.

I hope I have given you some ideas, feel free to share what works best for you.

Update since I first started this thread:

I added a pumping session about 1-2 hours after DD goes to bed at night. I am able to get about 4 oz. This seems to have also brought my daytime output back up a little. Trust me, I have plenty of milk. I just feel the added pressure when my supply lessens even a little, because of supplementing my friends baby. My LO comes first, but my goal is to help this other baby until the girls are a year. Only 4 1/2 months to go!
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!