Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: lengthy feedings

Default lengthy feedings

My 3 month old son is eating for 35 minutes between both sides @ every feeding. I have been told that by now he should only be eating about 10 minutes on each side. How do I get him to eat more efficiently or is it okay that it takes this long? I would prefer that it didn't take this long.

All advice is appreciated!

Default Re: lengthy feedings

Is he "comfort nursing" or actually eating the entire time?

I know lengthly nursing sessions can get tiring, but LOs have to eat, and every day I swear my LO changes with how long or short each session is. We've had 2 hour long sessions before, and ones as short as 5 minutes

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Is it 35 minutes every time? Has the time decreased any over the months?

I don't think that there is any time limit on when a baby will start nursing for shorter periods of time.

Is your baby gaining weight? Growing? Having plenty of wet and poopy diapers?

Brooke was the same, and all the other babies in playgroup were only feeding a few minutes - it was getting me frustrated because I felt like that's all I did all day.

I read somewhere, that babies get the most milk during the first 10mins of feeding, so I ended up putting Brooke on the other breast after 10 mins, and then taking her off the second breast after 10 minutes. This seemed to work for us, and then within a few weeks she got her feeding time down herself to a couple of minutes each side.

He seems to be eating the entire time.

At our last appointment he did gain weight. His diapers are wet when I change him, but his poopie ones are every couple of days and this concerns me. He is sleeping well @ night about 9-10 hours. In your opinion, do you think this is too long?

if he is sleeping well at night for hours, he might need to nurse more during the day to make up.
    Some babies need to nurse up 12 times in 24 hours to get the weight gain.
    and thats normal for them.

When you stopped her @ 10 minutes on each side, was she fussy? Or did she take well to it? I know when I stop my son, R.J., after 15 minutes on one side he cries until I put him on the other.

I wouldn't worry about the poopie diapers being so spaced out. After a while, some babies start to do that. It just means they are digesting the milk really efficiently. My LO just started spacing out his poopies to one every 1-2 days. Although towards the end you can tell he really wants to poop but us having a little trouble.

Wow! Sleeping 9-10 hours! That's great, and rare. Enjoy it and as pp mentioned, your baby will need to make up for that long sleep by eating a lot more during the day. 3 months is still very early on. Some babies are efficient and some would nurse all day if they could! Pretty soon your baby will figure out there is a big exciting world out there and shorten up those feedings so he can look around and explore. I bet that will happen for you in the next 4-6 weeks, or maybe sooner!

Some bf babies poop as little as every 7-10 days and that is normal as long as they are relatively large and soft. Sounds like you're doing great!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807