Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezing Playtex Drop-ins

Default Freezing Playtex Drop-ins

Do I understand the Playtex Drop-ins system correctly? Do I need rings/caps/locks for every bottle that I would freeze? I wanted to get a freezer stash started for when I return to work. Am currently using Medela bags. For those of you that use the Drop-ins, do you freeze your milk or just use it soon after you pump it?

Thanks!

Default Re: Freezing Playtex Drop-ins

bump

I'm not sure if you can freeze in them?
    Aren't they thinner then the good ziplock type bags?

Yes, you are correct, you need rings/caps/locks for every bottle that you would freeze. I use the platex drop ins and pump with a medela symphony. I looked into using the playtex system for convenience, since I've been using medela bottles for storage. I personally thought this system was a little ridiculous and pricey! So I store with medela stuff. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    I'm not sure if you can freeze in them?
    Aren't they thinner then the good ziplock type bags?
    Yeah you can freeze the drop ins. Though I honestly think buying breastmilk storage bags is probably a better way to go.

Here's a link to the Playtex Breastmilk storage kit:

http://www.playtexproductsinc.com/in...mpsStorage.asp

Quote Originally Posted by HH13 View Post
    Yes, you are correct, you need rings/caps/locks for every bottle that you would freeze. I use the platex drop ins and pump with a medela symphony. I looked into using the playtex system for convenience, since I've been using medela bottles for storage. I personally thought this system was a little ridiculous and pricey! So I store with medela stuff. Hope this helps!
    Yeah, I have some Medela bottles already. I wish I could pump into the medela bag and use that in the bottle! I just liked the nipples better on the playtex and I need a few more so I thought I would look into other choices.

I would not recommend freezing in the drop-ins (and I'm a huge drop-ins fan-trust me).

You see, bags that are specially made for freezing breastmilk are lined with nylon so that the "good stuff" in breastmilk doesn't stick to the sides of the bags. Additionally, they are stronger than any other kind of plastic. Drop-ins are great, but they aren't lined, kwim?

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    Yeah, I have some Medela bottles already. I wish I could pump into the medela bag and use that in the bottle! I just liked the nipples better on the playtex and I need a few more so I thought I would look into other choices.
    I use the Lansinoh brand freezer bags and just pop those into a regular playtex bottle when I give one to DD. The drop-ins might be easier to put in (I don't know) but this is still a fairly simple system for us. When I pump, I just pump into a bottle then pour it in the bag. I think a mama told me once that she rubberbanded the bag (she used medela bags) onto her pump so she could skip that step, but said it was a little tricky when she was done pumping setting it down to get everything cleaned up. Not quite sure how exactly that would work, and as I don't give that many bottles, I haven't felt it was worth it on my part to try. HTH (if I made any sense at all! )

I also freeze using the Lansinoh bags. I use the drop-ins as well. What I do is thaw the BM in the Lansinoh bag by running it under hot tap water and then just pour the milk into the drop-in liner (I have the easy drop in liner that doesn't seal but rests on the top of the bottle). I hated the regular Platex liners that you have to fold over, so this method works well for me.

I'm sure I read somewhere that if you scissors-clip the top off the Lansinoh bag, you can use the bag itself to line the Playtex bottle. You might want a few practice runs using just water though, to be on the safe side