Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Manual Pumps...?

Question Manual Pumps...?

Are these doable? i can't afford a hospital-grade pump. How about a Medela Harmony Manual Breastpump ? Anyone tried that one?

Default Re: Manual Pumps...?

Yes it’s doable. I’m on my second child using the same manual pump from Advent. I work full time, pump three times a day, my LO is 6 months old and I’m still going strong. Is it a pain? Yes, but I can’t see spending the money on a different pump when this pump is working so well. I think I’m getting my money’s worth!!

Will you be pumping occassionally or regularly (for work or school)?

I work 10 hour shifts and have been pumping enough BM with Avent ISIS hand pump to feed my 6 month old twins since they were born. I have a Medela electric PIS from my previous child and bought an Avent Duo electric pump with this pregnancy but I can express more with my manual pump in less time than with either electric pump. I can't sing the praises of this pump enough-- and at about 1/5 the cost!

I have the Medela Harmony Manual Breastpump and I like it. It was great for those early days when I would get engorged and needed to pump a little to soften for LO. However it takes me about half an hour to get anywhere from 1oz to 4oz. And when I go back to work I don't have that kind of time. And I'm only going back part time. So I ordered a Medela PISA. But my SIL worked full time and only ever used a manual, I think it was an Avent. If you are going to use it for work I would suggest trying the manual in advance and practice with it to see if it will work for you. If it doesn't there are less expensive double pumps that aren't hospital grade but may work for you.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09