Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: correct way to use Avent Isis??

Default correct way to use Avent Isis??

Although I used the Avent Isis with the first baby...and am using it again, it just dawned on me that there might be a 'right'/better way to use it.
    how do you pump
    do you go pump, pump, pump, pump, pump?
    or do you go puuuuuuuumpppp?
    I'm sorry this may seem silly.
    Ok, if your pumping and you have a stream from a duct or three, do you keep the handle down and let that milk squirt out then repeat?
    Or do you maintain a pump, pump, pump timeof mode?

I don't blame you if you don't understand this post well. but bear with me please.
    Thank you

Default Re: correct way to use Avent Isis??

I pump, pump, pump, pump,… until I get a steady flow or have a let down and then I go puuuuummmmppp, puuuuuuummmmpppp,… until nothing comes out. If I repeat the pump, pump, pump,… for a few more minutes I usually get a second let down. I also somewhat message or put a little pressure on my breast with my free hand while pumping. This seems to help “empty” the breast.

Do you like the Avent Isis? I'm thinking about getting one with my 2nd baby since the first one I had (Electric Evenflo) really didn't do it's job. But I've heard really good things about this one. I'll be pumping 3x's/day at work. Would you recommend it for this amount of pumping? TIA

oH dAWN78 Thank you so much for working with my description hey i think we have developed a new language.

To the PP I like Avent. though generally I'm not a friend of pumping. I had a Medela battery operated and found that the flange hurt my breast so. (I thought that was normal until someone told me I was damaging my nipples) so I haven't used it since.

The Avent is alright. I'm glad for the cushion thing, it helps psychologically so i don't have to worry too much about pain.

I use Avent ISIS hand pump everyday and I love it--even better than my double electric PIS or Avent Duo. I have been able to pump enough with it for my twins to have EBM while I'm at work. I also start out Pump-pump-pump til I get a good stream going then Puuuuuummmmp, puuummmp until flow stops, then repeat. One of the reasons I like this pump so much is that you can do that and minimize the number of squeezes. I do wonder, however, if repeatedly doing the Puuuummmmping to empty the breast might have some effect on supply if you use your pump several times a day everyday. It seems that you wouldn't get enough breast stimulation by doing it that way. It certainly doesn't mimic the way babies suck.